Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Forgive me for being ignorant, so humor my question. I have the QTI without 4LO. I dont really need 4LO so I didnt get my XK with it. However now that I am really into this thing having 4LO would enable be to go more places than I already go. I am just curious on how hard it would be to put in a QTII transfer case so I can have 4LO. I would think it would be pretty plug and play since the system is already an option.
What do you guys think? I am thinking you would need a new transmission too.. But QTII is active full time as well but has 4LO. It may have te same trany. Would there be onboard computer stuff I would have to do too? Just asking because I see that LKQ has transfer cases for a decent cost and if it would work it might be a cool mod once my warranty is up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,473 Posts
Well, you would also need the T-handle, and a new center console cover thing, and a wiring harness, and a... yeah... probably not worth it.

Transmissions are the same although the setup out the back end of the transmission is probably different.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,309 Posts
As far as i know the front and rear axles are the same for a vehicles with QTI and QTII. So as far as im aware it would totally be possible with a QTII Transfer case with the proper wiring harness and a few other things. Only main difference is your vehicle comes stock with 3.07 gears or something close to that (correct me if im wrong) and the QTII have 3.73's.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
14,912 Posts
I think you will find it very involved and not worth the expense and trouble because of the electronics and computer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,504 Posts
There was someone interested in the transfer case swap on another forum but the thread was never updated. Advance Adapters have and custom make adapters for almost anything. They have the Rubicon "Rock Trac" NV241OR made to replace the 231.
http://www.4x4wire.com/news/advadpt/aa_NV241OR/

NV241OR


NV245


I would contact these guys and see what options you have for a transfer case. When my Commander gets older, I'd like to look into maybe putting in a Selec-trac NV242.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,504 Posts
Found this,

It would be possible to retrofit QDII into a QT1 vehicle only if the vehicle were equipped with Electronic Stability Program (ESP). The QDII system utilizes the same sensors that ESP uses: yaw rate, steering wheel angle, and all four wheelspeeds.

In addition to the T-Case and ELSD's, you would have to install:

- Final Drive Control Module (FDCM) which installs under the rear seat
- T-Case shifter which installs behind the transmission shifter
- All wiring between the FDCM, Shifter, T-Case, ELSDs, power feeds, and CAN communications bus.

All this is possible, but very involved. The wiring would be the most difficult part in my opinion.

That was an excerpt from the JF Jeep Engineer live chat;
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
14,912 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,473 Posts
YB Normyl said:
There was someone interested in the transfer case swap on another forum but the thread was never updated. Advance Adapters have and custom make adapters for almost anything. They have the Rubicon "Rock Trac" NV241OR made to replace the 231.
http://www.4x4wire.com/news/advadpt/aa_NV241OR/
I searched their web site for NV241OR and came up with nothing. :confused: I was hoping to find prices because that would work nice in my Cherokee.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is interesting, first I have to do my research but it sounds like I might as well just pay this off and get a QDII :) I cant find a 65th anniversary edition or a rocky mountain edition with a 4.7 that is near by. Im a simple guy and dont need all the bells and whistles but do like a capable 4wd system. Thats why I have a jeep. Those two packages have all I need. Thanks for the input everyone, I like the idea of doing this but the cost may exceed the benefits.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,397 Posts
I don't understand why Jeep offers so many different 4wd systems on the Commander. I think all the 4x4 Commanders should come with QDII. Okay, maybe just one less expensive optional 4wd system if cost is a concern, but I don't think too many potential Commander owners are concerned with paying a few more dollars in the first place.

Besides, look what happens when someone buys a QTI version and then decides he wants the 2-speed transfer case. I really think Jeep should drop everything but the QDII system on their flagship SUV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,186 Posts
TR4Runner said:
I don't understand why Jeep offers so many different 4wd systems on the Commander. I think all the 4x4 Commanders should come with QDII. Okay, maybe just one less expensive optional 4wd system if cost is a concern, but I don't think too many potential Commander owners are concerned with paying a few more dollars in the first place.

Besides, look what happens when someone buys a QTI version and then decides he wants the 2-speed transfer case. I really think Jeep should drop everything but the QDII system on their flagship SUV.

I could not have said it better.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,397 Posts
UberCommander said:
I could not have said it better.
Do you have any regrets not going with QDII? Not that the QTII isn't a great system, but did you ever wish that you had the top 4wd system in your Commander?

On the 4Runner forum, it's fairly common to see a guy who bought a 2wd 4Runner, and when he sees some of the fun stuff the 4wd guys are doing, he ends up regretting his decision to buy a 2wd version in the first place. Some guys even trade them in at a big financial loss, just to get the 4wd. Fortunately, the 4Runner only comes with one 4wd system, so there are no "lesser" options available.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
I regret my decision on QTII and I don't. I do because I know the benefit of having that limited slip and I do some pretty decent hill climbs on the mountain trails. I don't because I don't like leather seats, especially the XKs. My wife also demanded the sky lights. In 2006, I was lucky to find the 65th anniversary edition that had cloth seats and skylights. Otherwise, it would require leather seats to get the skylights. To get the QDII system, I would've had to get the Hemi, which also required the Limited package, which did not have cloth seats. So, I let go of the QDII for the QTII; I still got the V-8 for towing, and I still got the Low Range, so I was happy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
JeepCollector said:
You can get QDII with the 4.7L, 3.0L diesel, and the Hemi. :D
Not in 06 when I got mine, otherwise I would have the QDII.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,504 Posts
rubicontrail.net said:
I searched their web site for NV241OR and came up with nothing. :confused: I was hoping to find prices because that would work nice in my Cherokee.
I couldn't find anything on it other than what was on the 4x4wire site. Here's some contact info and a link to Advance adapters which you probably already have. I'll keep looking though.

Advance Adapters
Dept ORN
P.O. Box 247
Paso Robles, CA 93447 USA
Phone 800-350-2223
e-mail:[email protected]

http://www.advanceadapters.com/
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,374 Posts
i'm hoping someone will make a selectable locker for the QT2 system. i would like an ARB rear locker. thats all i really need. the QT2 gets me through most situations.

my main complaint is the tires. but one more popped tire and i'll get some different tires anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
TR4Runner said:
Do you have any regrets not going with QDII? Not that the QTII isn't a great system, but did you ever wish that you had the top 4wd system in your Commander?

On the 4Runner forum, it's fairly common to see a guy who bought a 2wd 4Runner, and when he sees some of the fun stuff the 4wd guys are doing, he ends up regretting his decision to buy a 2wd version in the first place. Some guys even trade them in at a big financial loss, just to get the 4wd. Fortunately, the 4Runner only comes with one 4wd system, so there are no "lesser" options available.

I dont regret my purchase at all. I got a great deal on it and I love it. I have not been in a situation where I felt QTI was not going to get me out. I also know its limitations but it has impressed me. I would never trade in just to have 4LO that I would only use several times a year.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top