Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 2001 Grand Cherokee Limited with Quadradrive. I do some off-roading and have been impressed with the Quadradrive. I am considering a Commander and want to know how the QT2 compares to my QD1?

· Premium Member
337 Posts
Would you also like to compare the QD2 ?

Your going backwards in performance to the QT2.

· Premium Member
337 Posts

· Administrator
15,451 Posts
That is what I needed to know! I wasn't sure if my QD1 is comparable to the QT2 or if the QD1 is better. So you would rate the systems from best to worst being QD2, QD1, QT2, QT1?
You have them in the correct order. None of them are bad but Quadra Drive II is amazing.

· Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I currently have a 2001 Grand Cherokee Limited with Quadradrive. I do some off-roading and have been impressed with the Quadradrive. I am considering a Commander and want to know how the QT2 compares to my QD1?
Just my .02 but I think the QT II is better than the older grand Cherokee quadradrive. Again just my opinion. However your grand Cherokee has a solid front axle and if lifted with bigger tires would be a beast!

· Registered
1,128 Posts
So if you had the choice, which one would you get (both are same price)?
2010 Sport QT2 with HEMI, nav, leather (Sun and Sound Group) and 44k miles
or
2008 Overland with HEMI, and 84k miles
All depends on what you plan to do with it..... but id get the 2010 that has half the mileage. You can swap in a QDII front diff and a mechanical locker for the rear if you want to do hard wheeling. I actually prefer a selectable locker up front..... I dont like the feel of my front end binding while in 4low on trails so I normally wheel in 4hi.

· Administrator
15,451 Posts
I'm almost positive all hemis are QD2.
That's not true. The first year (2006) all Limiteds had HEMIs and they all had QDII. After that QDII was an option.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just my .02 but I think the QT II is better than the older grand Cherokee quadradrive. Again just my opinion. However your grand Cherokee has a solid front axle and if lifted with bigger tires would be a beast!
I have a little lift with 265/70/17's and bilstein shocks. I recently took it all the way through Kane Creek Canyon Trail in Moab.

http://www.utah.com/offroad/kane_creek.htm

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
All depends on what you plan to do with it..... but id get the 2010 that has half the mileage. You can swap in a QDII front diff and a mechanical locker for the rear if you want to do hard wheeling. I actually prefer a selectable locker up front..... I dont like the feel of my front end binding while in 4low on trails so I normally wheel in 4hi.

Over the last few days I have searched on here about the rear lockers and can only find dated threads that end with people saying, "So who is going to try this and see if they do work with our setup".

What rear lockers will work with the rear diff? Any links to a good thread?

· Registered
953 Posts
Over the last few days I have searched on here about the rear lockers and can only find dated threads that end with people saying, "So who is going to try this and see if they do work with our setup".

What rear lockers will work with the rear diff? Any links to a good thread?
07JeepXK has done it with a write up on another site. He also installed a QDII front diff to lock the front with an independent switch.

Go and search there.

· Registered
243 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What are the pros and cons of the Powertrax No Slip? Would it impact my daily driving at all? Does it work a lot like the QD2 for the rear? Are any other modifications required/suggested after doing it?

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have now read all of 07JeepXK's thread on the other site and understand how the No slip works. Being that it is locked all the time while driving straight, does that put added stress on the system? Does it impact gas mileage? Void powertrain warranty? With a locker, is their any added maintenance?

· Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Hands down get the 2010 hemi and if you plan on off roading just add lockers. Total cost was $1500 to lock front and rear of my commander. No negative effects from the no-slip. Honestly you won't even realize its installed. Well until your tearing up the trails. No added maintenance needed. It won't void the warranty if they don't know it's in there lol

1 - 20 of 23 Posts