Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WTFO?!? I've flipped through my 2009 owner's manual, Quick Reference Guide, and NO WHERE can I find how to shift my QDII into 4WD Low. What page is it on and where am I missing it.

I know that I'm supposed to slow to 2-4 mph, shift into N, pull the paddle till the EVIC tells me it's engaged, and then shift back into drive when I have confirmation. But the EVIC gives me a quick (can't remember the exact wording) "Check Shift Procedure" message, the "ESP Off", before it clunks into four low. So I try to look in the manual and "NADA"! As in zilch.

My CJ7 and WJ both had separate Four Wheel Drive supplements, what's up with that?!?:mofo:

After I post this, and get the kid to bed, I'm going out to the street and try it again.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I will look at my manual and see if I can find the page.

With your tranny in "N" pull up on the chrome "T" bar next to your shifter, that will engage your 4-lo

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Okay, It is on page 268 - 271 of the 2006 MY Commanders owner's manual.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks a49er,

To clarify, I can get it into "4WD LOW". It's disconcerting when the EVIC flashes "Check Shift Procedure". When I see this, I have to ask is that a Caution/Advisory Light or is it a WARNING Light. There's no Red, Yellow or Green to tell me if it's advisory or higher, so I go to the manual to double check...

Very poorly documented, or I'm just missing it.

Thanks,

mb1k

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Okay, It is on page 268 - 271 of the 2006 MY Commanders owner's manual.
That's Chapter 4, Understanding Your Instrument Panel, Manual Operation (of heating and air conditioning system) in the 2009 manual. What's the Chapter title or Section title equivalent in your '06 manual?

Thanks anyway.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Thanks a49er,

To clarify, I can get it into "4WD LOW". It's disconcerting when the EVIC flashes "Check Shift Procedure". When I see this, I have to ask is that a Caution Advisory Light or is it a WARNING Light.
That just means you were not in "N" or you were travel greater than 3 MPH.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I always shift into 4 Low while at a complete stop while the vehicle is in Neutral. I know the owners manual says to do it around 2-4 mph or whatever but I tried it like that the first time and it made some awful noises that didnt sound to healthy. Ever since then I have been doing it from a complete stop with no issues. My XK goes into 4 Low probablly about 3-4 times per week and yet have I had any problems with it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Both of you thanks. I've just gone through Chapter 5 "Starting and Operating" thrice now...no mention AT ALL on how to get into 4WD LOW. Plenty of references on "When to use...", "ESP (Electronic Stability Program) ~4WD Low Range", or "HDC ~ ...transfer case must be in 4WD LOW range", but nothing... and I mean NOTHING on how to actually get it into 4WD LOW.

Doesn't that strike anyone other than myself as odd? If I wasn't already a Jeep owner and new to the marquee, I probably would damage something trying to get it into 4WD LOW. God knows the salesmen don't have the first clue. Mine tried to tell me that the USB port on my RER was the iPod connectivity plug. Even after I showed him the iPod cable that was in the glove box on the '09s.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That just means you were not in "N" or you were travel greater than 3 MPH.
Thanks. Again, good stuff to know if it was only written in the '09 manual somewhere. Does anyone have an '09? Was there a separate 4WD Guide or booklet that came with it that I'm missing? I know my signature says '08, but the documentation that came with my '08 (along with wireless headsets, remote control, and other items) was missing and they snagged the shrink wrapped bundle from an '09 Overland for me.

A nice gesture but speaks volumes on the crappy attitude, respect, pretentiousness, and sense of entitlement general mangers, owners, and their wives have with program/demo cars. "Oh.. yeah, here's the demo I've been driving for six month/a year. Remote and headphones? Oh yeah... the kids have it in the garage/house somewhere (or broken, trashed, etc.)."

Sorry... in a pissy mood and disappointed at Jeeps glaring lack of documentation concerning their bread and butter, 4WD.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Thanks. Again, good stuff to know if it was only written in the '09 manual somewhere. Does anyone have an '09? Was there a separate 4WD Guide or booklet that came with it that I'm missing?
Nope ... I just went through the PDF of all the documentation that comes with a '09 and it does NOT mention anywhere how to shift in and out of Low range.

Same for 2008 too .. wierd 206 has it for sure

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope ... I just went through the PDF of all the documentation that comes with a '09 and it does NOT mention anywhere how to shift in and out of Low range.

Same for 2008 too .. wierd 206 has it for sure
Makes me wonder who's running Chrysler/Jeep? I guess the answer is evident in the testimony of current affairs.

I'm just amazed still; if I weren't a life long four wheeler having cut my first tooth on a Toyota FJ40 Landcruiser, then a CJ7, WJ, and now the XK. How would I know what 4WD LOW is and how to get in and out of it.

My WJ at least had some directions screened onto the sun visor, or that might be a false memory from some other four wheel drive vehicle I've been in.

They talk on and on and on about "Trail Rated", yet there is no sales training. This ignorance goes all the way up to corporate and their omission of this simple, but foundational capability of their product.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Makes me wonder who's running Chrysler/Jeep? I guess the answer is evident in the testimony of current affairs.

I'm just amazed still; ....How would I know what 4WD LOW is and how to get in and out of it.
They talk on and on and on about "Trail Rated", yet there is no sales training. This ignorance goes all the way up to corporate and their omission of this simple, but foundational capability of their product.
I have to admit the only reasonI dowloaded the PDF versions was to show you where you missed the info .. I was shocked myself to see it missing altogther! :(

The lack of off road driver training thing I can see .. most guys like to think they already KNOW all that and may be insulted if they were even asked.

·
Registered
125 Posts

Same for 2008 too .. wierd 2006 has it for sure
2008 manual has it on pages 290-293, chapter 5, "Starting and Operating".

Does me no good, my Cdr doesn't have four wheel low :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good resource, the online PDF files for the owner's manuals, I just downloaded the 2008.

What do you know, the 2008 has Chapter 5, Starting and Operating, Four-Wheel Drive Operation. That is altogether missing from the 2009 manual. The 2008 goes right into Four-Wheel Drive Operation after the section on Rocking The Vehicle, and the 2009 skips it altogether and goes to ON-ROAD DRIVING TRIPS. Inexcusable. Six pages missing, who's running this circus again?

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Glad you were able to get the correct information for your MY, If I were an '09 owner I would hope they would send out a supplement. I guess if you damage an '09 you can tell them the manual did not provide proper instructions.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
2008 manual has it on pages 290-293, chapter 5, "Starting and Operating".

Does me no good, my Cdr doesn't have four wheel low :)
Thanks I thought I was looking at 2008 but still had 2009 open :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
In the 2009 manual, it is on page 309. In the pdf version it is actually 311 (but the page is labelled 309).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
In the 2009 manual, it is on page 309. In the pdf version it is actually 311 (but the page is labelled 309).

Not quite. That's how 4WD HIGH range relates to ESP, page 311 has the 4WD Low Range section mode section for ESP.

Neither of these sections documents the procedures or the EVIC messages for shifting in and out of 4WD LOW.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Check out the bottom right section of the page....."Shifting Procedures".....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts