Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a U package Commander with the 4.7 last Tuesday. I bought it with the standard silver finish 5 spoke 17" wheels. I would like to upgrade to something in a chrome finish to go with the black exterior.

My question is what are the limits as far as tire height? And is it possible to change the wheels without causing the pressure sensors to malfunction?

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes, i have heard that new wheels/tires screw up the pressure sensors.

I would also like to know what is the biggest tire you can put on a stock commander....anyone know??

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi, I have had 17's, 20's, and 22's on my Commander. Heres my view;

The biggest wheels that Jeep (UK) approve are the standard 17's.

The 20" wheels offered by Startech are not approved by Jeep (UK, at least) and dont really do the ride any favours at all. I found that they needed spacers and even then caused some ride issues and made the steering wander a bit. I wasnt happy with either the look or the handling on this size wheel.

22's seem to fit just right. Mine are new on the truck and the ride and comfort are much better than with the 20's that i had previously. Its still not as good as the orignal ride on the 17's but the look is sooooooooooo much better that i dont really mind. The tyre size that i have used is 265/35/22. There is no rubbing or anything with these wheels.

There are some 24's available through DUB. I havent tried them and didnt go for them because they only do one design and im not sure that its the best one to suit the Commander. Also here in the UK 24" tyres are like rocking horse sh**e!!!

Hope this information helps??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts