Jeep Commander Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,930 Posts
I found that it would be cheaper to buy a low miler used one from a wrecker on Ebay.
That's probably hit & miss in my opinion.

I'd feel better if I had a reliable source to go to, where I know they would be readily available and about what price I could expect.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I wonder if a different type front diff could be installed to lose the oddball MB one. If a type from another brand jeep would bolt right in. Then a low milage junkyard could be easily had and the LS options would be easily available. On my one legged mustang, I just got a LS out of a GT that had 373. Jacked up the car and in a few hours I was spinning both tires. I only have the v6 but it has the Trac control and that system sucks. The delay waiting for the brake to come on always triggers the engine shut down forcing a crawl. With limited slip, you can just control yourself like we always have. Traction control is for people that cant drive

·
Registered
84 Posts
Is the dif in this vehicle the same one used in the WK jeeps? If so there should be tons of used ones in the junkyard and ebay. You would just have to make sure to get the right ratio. My 4.7 is trail rated and had the 3.70 ratio. I think my 08 wk had 3.08 with the v6. Maybe Ill look up the vin on that and see what the build sheet says for the old jgc.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I wonder if a different type front diff could be installed to lose the oddball MB one. If a type from another brand jeep would bolt right in. Then a low milage junkyard could be easily had and the LS options would be easily available. On my one legged mustang, I just got a LS out of a GT that had 373. Jacked up the car and in a few hours I was spinning both tires. I only have the v6 but it has the Trac control and that system sucks. The delay waiting for the brake to come on always triggers the engine shut down forcing a crawl. With limited slip, you can just control yourself like we always have. Traction control is for people that cant drive
In theory, you should be able to swap in a diff from a QDII model. You'll need to replace the diff and half shafts at a minimum, possibly more.

However, you won't have any easy time getting it working. QDII uses ELSDs, so the computer can lock and unlock the diff at will. That means you'll need to reprogram yours or get one out of a QDII Jeep to get it all working.

Alternatively, you could try manually locking it. I'm not sure exactly how the diff works, but I know of many on the WK forums that run a 12V switch to their diffs for on demand locking.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts