Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a New '07 Commander (4.7L 4X4 Quad-drive II) last week. I will be using the 4X4 this weekend for the first time. I will be pulling my 4 wheeler on a very muddy road. All told, I have to pull the 4 wheeler about 20 miles round trip through the mud. My questions are 1) is it OK to use 4Lo while pulling a trailer? and 2) is 4Hi or 4Lo better on muddy roads? There are no hills or rocks to climb, it’s just a matter of keeping the car moving and on the road. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
slw&lw said:
I will be using the 4X4 this weekend for the first time.
If you have QDII then you are using your 4WD all the time as QDII is a full-time 4WD system.

is it OK to use 4Lo while pulling a trailer?
Not sure, but I don't think it is a good idea.

is 4Hi or 4Lo better on muddy roads?
Can't tell you what to use because it depends on the road condition. Some can be navigated without 4-lo and others require it. Most likely unless it's really bad you won't need 4-lo.
Read your manual.

·
Registered
588 Posts
First off, be advised, the tires that come on a Commander are not designed to work well in mud, so I hope that this is not a TRAIL but merely a dirt road thats muddy from rain or something and that it has a base underneath it.
I would advise abstaining from 4wd Low if at all possible. Low is mainly for rock crawling, or pulling a heavy boat trailer out or something like that. You should NOT travel very fast in low. Generally in MUD you want WHEEL SPIN to remove the mud from the tread so they can get some BITE. You will notice almost immediately your tires will look like RACING SLICKS as they pack with mud. Not a good thing for traction. You should be in 4wd HIGH or if you have QD that is automatic as its similar to all wheel drive. Dont try and drive TOO FAST as I am quite sure regardless you will have difficulty controlling the vehicle in turns or such. When it comes to mud the single most important thing is YOUR TIRES and you dont have good tires for that so all you have left is the 4wd to give you ability to move but that doesnt help STOPPING or TURNING. john

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
What John said... the stock tires are great for dry, rain, and powder snow. If you want more traction for mud, packed snow, or other off-road conditions consider something like the Wrangler SilentArmor tires. Personally, I keep my 4LO in reserve. If you get stuck in 4HIGH you can use 4LO to help get you out. If you get stuck in 4LO... well, I hope you have a winch or tow strap handy. :D

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
Funny about the 4Low. I usually go to 4Low if I think 4Hi might not get me through. If I have get stuck in 4hi and have to go to 4Lo I've lost any momentum I might have had. Momemtum is the key in not getting stuck I think. At least in muddy conditions. If its dry, I'll stay in 4hi unless I can't get up something or over something.

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
Can anyone answer slw&lw's question about pulling a trailer while in 4-lo?

·
Premium Member
2,262 Posts
I agree that it wouldn't really matter if you are in 4Lo or not - the Jeep doesn't know whether the load you are putting on it is from a trailer or incline or big ass rock. A load is a load is a load. Just don't go fast.

·
Registered
588 Posts
The reason I suggest 4WD HIGH is in mud you want wheel spin. Also, he is going 10 miles each way, I doubt he wants to travel 10-15mph the whole way?? Sure you can pull a trailer in 4wd Low. the issue is CAN he do it in 4wd High. I'd say he can and if he cant due to conditions he can go to 4wd Low but its gonna be a long trip. john

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the reply's. I think I will try to keep it in 4Hi, turn off the ESP and see if I can make it. If it looks like I am having difficulty, I will find a drier spot and switch to 4Lo. As someone said, momentum is key to keep from getting stuck. I read the manual and it said to use 4Lo when pulling a trailer through heavy mud, so it looks like there is no problem pulling a trailer in 4Lo. With the 4 wheeler, the trailer probably weighs less than 1000 lbs and it looks like the width of the wheels are the same as the commander's width, so it should just follow in the same ruts. I don't think it will have much affect on commander. Going too fast in 4Lo will not be a problem. Anything over 15 mph will put me in a ditch/canal, so yes it takes close to an hour to get there (probably 45 min.).

I will have my tow straps and will be following others in case I don't make it, but my old 4X4 Tahoe always made it (even though it had some difficulties at times). I will post how it did on Monday.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts