Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has modified their roof rails to allow the front cross bar to move more forward beyond the first notch. it seems like it should be easy to cut a new notch with a dremel. can anyone think of a reason not to? any possible down side? i want to get the most spread between bars as possible for stability of long items up there. especially because i cant move my back bar all the way back because it messes with the SAT reception

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i cant see it causing any more noise, its the same cross bar, just moved forward a little bit. and as for strength, its a small notch compared to the size of the rail. im not worried about that at all

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
i cant see it causing any more noise, its the same cross bar, just moved forward a little bit. and as for strength, its a small notch compared to the size of the rail. im not worried about that at all
My 06 has specific slots marked to reduce the noise from the rack. I replaced my stock bars with Thule bars so I could mount rod racks my wife often complains of the noise, but being old and suffering hearing lost, neither noise bothers me.

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
You don't have to worry about the detents in the rail. You can place the bars anywhere on the rails. The notches help you align rails.
I use a cross rail for a light bar and put it at the front and mount roof racks behind it,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts