Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make sure my tires are ready for winter in Utah. My front ones are the only ones that need to be replaced, my back ones are still pretty good. Is there any problem with replacing the fronts, but not the back? One tire guy told me that because it's 4wd, I need to replace all the tires at once. He said having tires with different tread wear can cause damage to the drivetrain. I guess theoretically that makes sense, but is it really that big of a deal?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
15,094 Posts
Awhile back we had a discussion in a thread about this very topic. I believe the consensus was that a little bit a tread difference wouldn't matter. But a big difference could indeed cause trouble.

·
Registered
152 Posts
how worn are your tires? I'm in UT as well, and looking at getting new tires too for winter.

I always prefer ($$ allowing) to replace all 4 tires on a vehicle at once, then you can maintain proper rotation and wear them out evenly, even on non-awd vehicles.

I have one tire that is double the tread as the other 3 (previous spare), though all have approx 50k+ on them. It does cause me to not want to run it too long, and I plan on getting 4 new tires and returning the spare to the spare location just to avoid any driveline issues.

·
Registered
452 Posts
It's generally a good practice to set aside some money as you observe your tires wearing down. I hate the idea of just replacing 1 or 2 tires. After an x amount of miles, I'll check out the tread, and then stop browsing online on what sets I want, and how much to budget for. Plus, replacing all four w/ the same tread design makes it so much easier to maintain afterwards; typically folks will replace two, and won't remember to rotate the tires as often still. That's just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I checked my tires last night, one was 10/32, the others were 6/32. I ordered new tires from treadwright this morning (way cool to deal with) the 265/70/17 Guard Dogs.

They are making sure they ship today so I have them by wed next week, and can have them mounted and balanced before going on a 1100 mile trip to wyoming. In fact I asked for load range C, and they asked if I would consider range E if there were no C to get them in time--and they should come on matched, BFG if possible, carcasses.

I'll get pics up when they show.

·
Registered
862 Posts
If it were me, I'd replace the entire set.

Put the old good pair on craigslist.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts