Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum but have read past threads and have found them informative and helpful in deciding to purchase the Commander. Have had it now for a few days and noticed that the sunroof controls are not backlit at night. My dealer tells me that's the way it is, but I have my doubts. If anyone could respond I'd be grateful.

Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
I will check tonight and let you know! It's one of those things that I would guess that they are, however, now that you've brought it up, it's a good question?!?!?!

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
As I recall, they are not backlit. (my recollection comes from many hours of driving at night and reaching up to feel the sunroof controls - and often pushing the wrong one).

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts
4.7commander said:
is the shifter supposed to be back lit?

only my + - and D are back lit.
Yes, PRND all should be lit. I just went out and cranked mine up to see.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I definitely wish that the sunroof and the homelink controls were lit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sunroof controls

Thanks to all for responding to my question about the backlighting issue of the sunroof controls. It's really strange that it's not backlit considering the level of technology that they've put into the vehicle and the fact that the adjacent Home Link is backlit. I tried getting an answer directly from Chrysler but they refered me back to the dealer- big help ! I also had an issue with the dealer with the installation of the chrome side-steps. He asked me for 3 hours labor. The Mopar book has it down for 1 hour. I wound up buying them on eBay from another dealer for about $400 delivered and installed them myself in 1 hr. 15 minutes (about $450 savings overall). Has anyone else had similar experiences with the dealer with price gouging on installation charges ?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
docals said:
It's really strange that it's not backlit considering the level of technology that they've put into the vehicle and the fact that the adjacent Home Link is backlit.
I never noticed that the Home Link was backlit. I'll have to check tonight when I get home.

·
Registered
269 Posts
the Home Link was backlit but not the sunroof.

·
Registered
476 Posts
CrzCajun said:
I definitely wish that the sunroof and the homelink controls were lit.
Home Link Controls are lit... the sunroof controls are not. I am guessing they figure if you can see where the Home Link Controls are at you can pretty well guess where the sunroof controls are. ;)

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts
HemiCommander said:
Home Link Controls are lit... the sunroof controls are not. I am guessing they figure if you can see where the Home Link Controls are at you can pretty well guess where the sunroof controls are. ;)
Well, since they call it a sunroof and not a moonroof I guess they don't expect people to use it at night.

·
Registered
397 Posts
The center button is raised, I believe that is the vent position. Easy enough to do by feel, keeping ones eyes on the road ahead. See it is just another safety feature, and proof that Jeep is just looking out for us. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree with what has been said that you can feel around for the controls but consider it an oversite not to have them backlit. It would seem more logical for saftey purposes to have them lit rather than the homelink, which only gets used when you're in your driveway and virtually stopped. That's my opinion-- for whatever it's worth.

·
Super Moderator
14,939 Posts
I agree with you on that.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I agree too,they should be backlit. I was just putting a corporate bean counters hat on and trying to spin an oversight as a 'feature'. The eyeroll was for my own words and that position.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I look forward to the day when we will have voice command! "Driver Window Down" ... "All Windows Down" ... "Sunroof Open" ... Sunroof Close" ..."Radio Preset 4" ... "Eject Bit..y passenger" :eek:

Go Speed Racer...GOooooo :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts