Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just delivered my new Commander 3.7 with full-time 4-wheel. I am very happy with the vehicle but miss the mechanical selector on my 2001 Cherokee.

Here is my question: How do my fellow owners feel about the non-selective 4-wheel system in my vehicle?

I live in the PA snow belt and really need 4-wheel.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Nayth

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Just delivered my new Commander 3.7 with full-time 4-wheel. I am very happy with the vehicle but miss the mechanical selector on my 2001 Cherokee.

Here is my question: How do my fellow owners feel about the non-selective 4-wheel system in my vehicle?

I live in the PA snow belt and really need 4-wheel.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Nayth
Welcome to the forum, Nayth. You're going to like your Commander. I have a different 4wd than you but it is full-time, non-selective, except for LO. At first I thought I would miss the selecting. I had Selec-Trac on my 02 Grand Cherokee.

But now, I have great confidence in the full-time 4wd in any conditions. And I like that when my wife or kids drive it, they have that capability. My wife has 04 Liberty with 2HI, 4HI (part-time) and 4LO. And as she goes in and out of snow in Michigan with some dry road areas and then snow, it just isn't as capable, because she has to keep it in 2 or shift constantly.

Well, anyway, enjoy it. Btw, regarding your q on another post, 35 psi on your tires seem fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback "GP". I am looking forward to participating on this Forum.

I am an owner of a large watch collectors Forum and enjoy dealing with friendly folks that share common interests!

Nayth

·
Registered
527 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Nayth. You're going to like your Commander. I have a different 4wd than you but it is full-time, non-selective, except for LO. At first I thought I would miss the selecting. I had Selec-Trac on my 02 Grand Cherokee.

But now, I have great confidence in the full-time 4wd in any conditions. And I like that when my wife or kids drive it, they have that capability. My wife has 04 Liberty with 2HI, 4HI (part-time) and 4LO. And as she goes in and out of snow in Michigan with some dry road areas and then snow, it just isn't as capable, because she has to keep it in 2 or shift constantly.

Well, anyway, enjoy it. Btw, regarding your q on another post, 35 psi on your tires seem fine.
Ditto, is hard to let go of the control, but the Full time 4WD system on the Commander is awesome...... Very capable even in the base system. TheQT I in your vehicle is the same as the one in QT II except is is lacking a LOW range. It is a fully automatic system, and unless you need a low range, you will never miss the levers.

I run my tires harder than most, about 10% below max pressure, so if sidewall max is 44 cold, I run 40, and so on. ENJOY!

·
Registered
190 Posts
You'll quickly find you have more confidence in the snow in the Commander. When it snows/ices here in Virginia, I opt for the Commander over my part-time 4wd truck that I'm more familiar with b/c of the auto 4wd. Unfortunately, I have to use the truck most of the time as the Commander is the wife's daily driver.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I am loving my 3.7 four wheel drive system.

Although we don't get the snow in Arkansas you get in PA, mine has done very well even on the ice we do get.

I have been in places where I would have got stuck with anything else only to get out and continue my day.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Lonestar,
You or your wife certainly got to test the traction control today...
I'm in Springfield, started at 5:30 this am.. Main roads were ok, but going in and out of the developments was challenging.
KKKKFL

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same set up and had no problems in 12" of snow in Indianapolis this morning. The side streets were not plowed; the interstate was plowed, but you could not see pavement or the lines.

Kind of fun making up your own lane!

·
Registered
98 Posts
The only disadvantage of Quadra Trac is less mileage. There's more drag/friction with AWD than 2WD-High.

You don't need low-range unless you drive off-road (well, maybe it's also useful at a boat launch). Quadra Trac is no less than phenomenal in heavy snow.

--Spike

·
Registered
451 Posts
I concur with everyone else on here. I thought I would miss the ability to put it in 2wd but I really don't. Well, other than doing donuts and the gas mileage! The 4wd works awesome and I have only got it stuck once, and I try often!!! You will be happy with it!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I got used to full-time fourwheel drive a LONG time ago ... I had two Chevy pickups with full-time fourwheel drive, they were early 1970's modles ... I think a 74 and a 78

I also used to drive an early 70's Jeep Wagoneer weekly that was full time (the original Qudra-Trac) ...

I predict you will get used to it FAST .. it's much safer to drive too.

I also HATE manual locking hubs :) the first thing I do when I buy a 4X4 with manual hubs is LOCK them and leave them locked ALL the time ... I just can't imagine getting OUT of the vehicle to engage four wheel drive.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Hi, I'm new here and was also curious about the QT I tranny on my Commander. I live in deep south TX, so I'm about 10 minutes from the RGV mud pits and South Padre Island. No problem going though the sand and mud, hardly any acceleration needed. I just want to know how much more capable this tranny is. 3.7L QT I all stock. Thanks guys (and gals)!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I also like the traction given in rain. I live close to Tallahassee, FL and like alot of the south in the summer it rains in the afternoon, sometimes a downpour. Just point and drive no worries. This vehicle is much safer than most.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts