Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Re: Which filter should I get?

I've never been a fan of K&N. I got the AEM intake and it sounds amazing. That huge chunk of black plastic between the radiator and throttle body is full of chambers to baffle the sound of the engine sucking in air. With the kit installed it uncorks it. If you get the AEM kit make sure to search the threads on this site as the instructions leave out the part about unbolting the coolant overflow tank. You will know what I'm talking about if you get the kit. It is very easy to install.

http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1706&highlight=intake

·
Registered
225 Posts

I know AFE makes one with a more complete air box, but I have no personal experience with it or AEM. I did have a K&N for another vehicle of mine and it was great. If you do get a CAI, I recommend getting a prefilter for it just to keep sure you are keeping water out.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts

I too have the AEM and it was easy to install and the sound is amazing.

·
Registered
258 Posts

what kind of sound difference are you guys talking about. Also, what sort of increase in HP or milage do you get if any?

New to the Hemi world...looking to tweak out our new toy eventually...

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you want to be kind to your engine AND get a great filter...the Amsoil EaA201 fits all Commanders. 100,000 mile filter. It has almost twice the surface area of the OEM....more pleats and a bit taller pleats...fits in stock air box.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The aFe intake has a pretty cool design to it. I actually ordered one and can't wait to put it on. I will let everyone know how it performs overall.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I happen to love the impact of just putting in a K&N drop-in filter for the price. Have done it on 4 of the last six cars we had and it opens up the top-end a lot for just $50. No, you do not get the max HP a complete intake can provide, but at least the vehicle won't choke in the upper third of the rev range.

For reference, the cars I've placed a drop-in K&N into are/were:
2006 Suburban (wife's)
Commander 4.7
2005 G35x
2002 Maxima SE.

·
Registered
148 Posts
77 for style

Go for the 77, I have it and love it. It looks sweet and performs great. Gives a great growl, performance, and MPG increase.

·
Registered
324 Posts
OK, hows it perform, how much louder. It looks good under there. I usally just throw K&N's in the stock air box, but...

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So far it is great. After 100 miles am I'm starting to see an improvement in gas mileage. (about 1.5 mpg) I do notice a bit more pep. There is little noise at idle. Now on the other hand, when given the gas it has a nice growl. I don't know how it compares to the other brands, but I do like box design. It was really easy to put on.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What is the HP increase? If you do not mind me asking, how much? I heard of this company before and seen their product on Dodge Ram trucks but never knew the details...

1 - 20 of 130 Posts