Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

Was wondering if anyone can give me some feed back on a roof basket. Here are my questions

1. What size fits on the roof of a commander?

2. I want to mount it without using the cross bars. Id like to mount it right to the roof rails with tabs or something is this possible?

3. Best place to buy one?

Thanks for the help

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Hey all

Was wondering if anyone can give me some feed back on a roof basket. Here are my questions

1. What size fits on the roof of a commander?

2. I want to mount it without using the cross bars. Id like to mount it right to the roof rails with tabs or something is this possible?

3. Best place to buy one?

Thanks for the help
1. IMHO, the Yakima MegaWarrior has the correct proportions, width wise, for the Commander.
2. There are pictures of Commanders on this forum with the roof baskets mounted directly to the roof rails. I do not know if these are standard brackets or custom made. Search roof basket, Yakima, etc. and you can find these pictures.
3. rackattack.com seems to have the best prices. Call them and see if the Yakima or Thule can be mounted directly to the roof rails. They sell all kids of brackets.

:eek:rangehat:

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Etrailer.com is where is purchased my megawarrior and extension AND a bag and net. Also, I lost a solid 2mpg with the rack on.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have the Surco 48"x60"...fits the roof perfectly but I don't have the sun roof in my Jeep.

I love the size, I mounted it directly to my factory risers (minus the cross rails) because I didn't want it to sit too high.

Expensive rack built cheap...I would look into Kevin's Offroad since his includes all the Hi-lift and axe ans such brackets and seems pretty tough
IMG00012-20100802-1319.jpg

IMG00013-20100802-1319.jpg

IMG00018-20100802-1733.jpg

IMG00016-20100802-1659.jpg

IMG00015-20100802-1659.jpg

·
Registered
275 Posts
Mine is a defenderrack.com rack. The site tells you which one fits the commander i think 4.5x5? Not sure. They sell the mounts that fit into the long slots that hold the original rack so you can take off the original bars and use their mounts that match the basket.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I like the way you set this up, did you use the mount from the original
cross bar to screw the handle to the rack?

The size of the cross bar you used, from what I see , looks like it may not
hold the weight the factory crossbar did. I really cant tell from the
this picture though.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I like the way you set this up, did you use the mount from the original
cross bar to screw the handle to the rack?

The size of the cross bar you used, from what I see , looks like it may not
hold the weight the factory crossbar did. I really cant tell from the
this picture though.
Nothing is used from the factory cross bars.

There isn't actually a cross bar. There are three brackets on each side of the Commander that slide into the factory rails going from front to back of the XK. The brackets are made from steel plate and attach to the 6 corresponding areas on the roof rack.
Heres a Pic:

The pic is not the actuall one on the XK it's just the example pic from their website. The top part looks the same where the basket is supported. The bottom is quite different from the pic. The bottom is a sort of H looking design where the bottom slides in the rail and a plate is put over the top and they are screwed together to tighten into the rail.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Nothing is used from the factory cross bars.....
There isn't actually a cross bar.
LOL My question was directed at KITKAT, your reply hadnt posted when i was looking at his post!
But thank you, I did like the pic. That is very helpful. And your response was
very usefull...
Don

·
Registered
275 Posts
Ahhh..... That makes sense now. I thought you could easily tell by the original pictures posted that I had no cross bar.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Superacerc, I really like the low profile of your rack. I of course bought a set of sport crossbars for mounting a rack, as my sport doesn't have them. BRILLIANT!
JCIII

·
Registered
542 Posts
can you explain how they attach to the rack itself? I'm asking because I am curious if these would work for any rack or just theres.
If you look closely at that same pic you quoted, you will see a "tab" that is welded to the basket. The mounting bracket bolts to that "tab" on three different locations on the basket on either side.

I looked into buying these brackets and then welding a "tab" to my basket but, Defender wants way too much and I could probably fab something up for cheap.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I should have never clicked on superacerc's garage.... now I want the defender roof rack and some 265/70/17 mickey thompson ATZs for my commander.

That rack is definitely getting added to my "future mods"....

·
Registered
275 Posts
can you explain how they attach to the rack itself? I'm asking because I am curious if these would work for any rack or just theres.

As I am jeep stated ( you probably already figured this out) you can see that the semi transparent part on the pic is actually welded to the basket itself and the non transparent part is the mount. The two lay flat together and 2 bolts go through.

I think it's about 85 dollars for the mounting system which is kind of expensive but pretty easy to use so maybe it's worth it.

You could definitely fab some mounts to just about any basket that would lay flat on these mounts and bolt down. This does make the basket very low profile compared to most which is quite nice. I can still go through one of the auto car washes even with my tire up on top and the lights.

What is even more awesome is the light guard system that you can get for this rack

I'd love one!

·
Registered
195 Posts
The benefit of this rack is that is just as, or nearly as wide and the roof rails which allows the tabs to work. I think for narrower racks you would need to beef up the support since the bending moment would be increased quite a bit. I do love the low profile of this rack - wish they all had that type of mounting.

·
Registered
542 Posts
The benefit of this rack is that is just as, or nearly as wide and the roof rails which allows the tabs to work. I think for narrower racks you would need to beef up the support since the bending moment would be increased quite a bit. I do love the low profile of this rack - wish they all had that type of mounting.
I will be widening/lengthening my basket to be able to fab up some similar mounts. When?.......I don't know yet, but soon. Keep an eye out for a build thread on it. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
45 Posts
It looks like the Defender 45504/5 for the XK are either not made any more or out of stock. Does anyone know if the 40504 (still 4' x 5' x 4") is the same rack?

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
It looks like the Defender 45504/5 for the XK are either not made any more or out of stock. Does anyone know if the 40504 (still 4' x 5' x 4") is the same rack?
It is, just 6" shorter (45504/5 is 4' x 5.5' x 4/5').

·
Registered
275 Posts
Id give them a call and see what the status is just to make sure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You should also check our KargoMaster as they provide a rack that is sized correctly for the Commander and mounts directly to the roof rails (no cross bars needed). I had this on my 96 ZJ and walked all around on it with no problems and it lasted until I sold the jeep. Should have kept it but the 18yr old thought it was cool and wanted it.

It will be the one that I put on when it is time. It also looks alot like the Defender one not sure about price difference.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts