Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of screw driver's head is needed to remove the gas door in order ot install the chrome one? I am no expert on screwdrivers and need to visit Home Depot tomorrow... Any advice?

·
Registered
195 Posts
The screws are Torx T-30. I think you can get an individual screw driver of that size. Not sure if the Depot carries them. You may have to go to a Sears.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I was going to say, get a 10 in 1 Klein for $10.
never buy another screwdriver again.
Comes with 2 flat, 2 phillips, square tip, and 2 torx.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought the screwdriver and still can't get the freaking screws out. They feel like they are sealed to the metal. It might be the paint sealing it off... If I use another tool other than my hand to twist the screwdriver I'll mess it up and won't be able to return it. Any ideas...

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Give it a shot of WD40 (I would say PB Blaster but that might mess up the paint), let it set for a few minutes and then rap the top of the screw with a flat surface (don't mess up the screwdriver slot). This should loosen whatever is holding it on.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The screws on my gas cap were very difficult to break loose as well. I used a Torx driver with a ratchet handle allowing me to get more leverage. However, the WD-40 should help you out.

·
Registered
195 Posts
You might need to use an Impact Driver; most motorcyclists would have one. However that is a rather violent solution, I think the 3/8" rachet handle or breaker bar would probably work. [An excuse to acquire tools....]

·
Registered
251 Posts
I used a ratchet as well and they came loose real easy. If your nervous about the paint around the door ( I was) tape a towel or two around the area ...just in case.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Houston, mission accomplished! I stopped at Home Depot bought a ratchet bit socket and the rest is history. The screwdriver is back in Sears inventory... :) I scratched the paint a bit, but I buffed it off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts