Jeep Commander Forum banner

Quietest replacement muffler--5.7?

12K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  jeep5253 
#1 ·
08 Commander 5.7, 12,000 miles and new to me. Sewing machine quiet and needs a little exhaust help. Anyone run the stock muffler without the resonator? What is the quietest after market available with resonator?

Also, any performance increase with a std K&N?

Thanks, BCB

#2 ·
Im not quite sure I understand what your asking. Do you want to replace your stock muffler with something a little louder but not to crazy?

#3 ·
I interpet your question as, what is the quietest aftermarket exaust that has some 'tone'?

If this is correct, I'd go with the Borla cat back.
Has tone on acceleration, reasonably quiet at steady speeds, and all T-304 stainless for a true lifetime exaust system.

However, if you are going to be towing much I can't recommend anything but stock.
The aftermarket systems do sound nice when just moving the Commander but really sing the V-8 song when towing.
Sound is subjective, but that steady V-8 working sound grows tiresome after an hour or so IMO.

Personnal experience, my 1997 Chev. long cab long box truck.
I installed a Gibson cat back about 8 years ago.
I began towing a 24 ft. enclosed car hauler about 4 years ago.
Sounds great, no trailer.....nice tone on accel. , shuts up at speed.
Loaded trailer, sounds incredibe but becomes incredibly tiresome after a while.
I haven't had enouph long tows to drive me insane, but I'm sure glad I kept the stock system and put it up in the rafters.
If I start towing longer distances, that system will be coming out of retirement.

Keep in mind, I'll soon be 60 and I have found as time goes on, noise tolerance has been becoming less.
If I was still in my thirties or maybe still in my fourties, I probably would be more willing to put up with the racket.

My opinion,
Rob

#4 ·
I am looking to get a little more sound than stock so a quiet aftermarket is what I am looking for. My alternative is to remove the resonator.

Thanks Ron, I just retired and will be towing more now. May be the noise is bouncing back off the trailer--not what I want either.

Anyone just remove the resonator?

BCB

#7 ·
I am looking to get a little more sound than stock so a quiet aftermarket is what I am looking for. My alternative is to remove the resonator.

Thanks Ron, I just retired and will be towing more now. May be the noise is bouncing back off the trailer--not what I want either.

Anyone just remove the resonator?

BCB
Be prepared to listen to drone if you do decide to chop off your resonator. I have a 2006 Dodge Magnum RT AWD and one of the first mods I did was remove the resonators. The exhaust would drone from 1000-2000 rpms.

#6 · (Edited)
I like mine, too. Seems to be just right sound wise. But you can hear it when you get on the skinny pedal.

#8 · (Edited)
I tried the stock without the resonator and it was too quiet so we installed a Magnaflow SUV without the resonator and a rectangular box chrome tip straight out under the bumper. Nice low rumble and quiet inside the cabin:).

I also installed a K&N drop in and the combo seems to give a little more power.

A 2" lift goes in next week.

Thanks for the replies.

BCB

#9 ·
In response to Robby re towing with 5.7 hemi with aftermarket exhaust, I regularly tow 2,000-3,500 lbs with my magnaflo hi flo cats + muffler and experience no drone whatsoever once rpm falls below 2,000. I find this easily between 60-65 mph and rarely go faster than this anyway. Fatty

#11 ·
I recommend the Flowmaster 50 SUV. Inside my tires are louder than the exhaust but you get a slightly better rumble outside. But, you can tell it's a Hemi when you open it up full throttle. It doesn't resonate due to the thicker case on it plus it resists rock damage more if you're into that. I've been very happy with it but will probably go to something a little louder in the spring.

#12 · (Edited)
I had a FlowMaster on a supercharged Bronco for a while.......biggest mistake I ever made! Way to loud......climbing up steep hills at 2000-3000 RPM sounded like you were at the track. Very embarrassing if your over about 20 yrs old.......

Edit - I should add that this was a custom 3" system with one cat removed and the other hollowed out. Eventually replaced with a standard truck muffler from Meineke(sp?) and was much happier.

Edit Edit - Didn't realize I was following a Flowmaster post........no harm intended.

#15 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.