Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed a Surco roof rack a month or so ago. Love the rack, HATE the noise. Anything over 40 MPH was like listening to a radio tower roar in an 85 MPH wind. My fuel mileage has taken a plummet also. The wind roar destroyed the conversional quietness of the Commander.

So, I tried this idea. I bought a piece of 4 inch ABS (e.g. sewer) pipe. I cut it in two, lengthwise. That's quite a trick, by the way. I used a radial arm saw. I needed to add a wedge in the cut side as it went because the pipe's in a bind and tries to close back up, stalling the blade. The second cut is easy to do.

I flipped the upper lights around so they'd hang lower, then notched the half-pipe for them. At first, I used electrical tape for the test drive, then bolts later to make it permanent.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

I also put 3/8'' rubber fuel line up into the open space of the cross bars to get rid of the ''flute'' whistling. There's still a little wind whistle, but it's nothing like it was before.

From the front:

Closer view:

From the side. It's pretty simple.

I don't think it looks all that bad. I was about ready to build a wing or spoiler in front of the rack, but this was easier.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Man thats absolutely ingenious. I cant believe all the tricks you come up with for the xk.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have the Surco rack and I do not notice any additional noise. Could it be the lights?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
That's one find job of thinkin there.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
When I had the Defender light cage on my truck I had a lot of wind noise. The regular Defender rack has been silent for me.

·
2,248 Posts
I noticed a small SUV with a roof rack at the stoplight the other day. It had a wing type of air deflector at the front and inside the roof rack. At first I thought it was a sun roof that was popped up like they sometimes do. As I looked closer I could see that it was a metal or fiberglass wing. It must be for the same reason. Fortunately we have not had any wind noise from the factory roof pod. I have only removed it once, and that was to clean it and check it. Also, even though it covers the sat antenna, it does not interfere with reception.

Adondo,

You do come up with some interesting projects. Maybe we should start calling your Rube, a gadget guy like me.

I am very lucky to have some world class projects to occupy my mind. It is also nice to have a bunch of craftsmen to make our ideas into reality.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts