Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Steering Gear or rack and pinion is failing in my 2006 Commander :(

It starte with the steering pump making that whining noise, and then it got really had to steer at idle.

I found a used one for only $100 so that's good ... I'll report how much my local garage charges for labour.

My plan is to keep the old one and have it rebuilt for a spare incase the used one fails.

Anyone had experience with replacing with used? ... The Commander it's off of has 176000 miles on it.

OH and what about driving it in this condition? if it does not get fixed by end of next week I have a three day trip I'm planning ... is it OK to keep driving it with the failing rack and pinion?

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Other than your forearms looking like they belong on Popeye, you won't harm anything by continued operation.

However, I don't understand how you have determined the rack is the failure, my friend.
I'm thinking the pump died and you are indicating it was whining, a sign of internal fluid bypassing.

On another note, it is good to hear from you......hope life is coming back together for you and your family.

Rob

·
Registered
707 Posts
Yeggster: Have you ever changed the power steering fluid? If not, do you think this could have caused the pump and/or rack to fail? How many miles do you have on your 2006?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Other than your forearms looking like they belong on Popeye, you won't harm anything by continued operation.

However, I don't understand how you have determined the rack is the failure, my friend.
I'm thinking the pump died and you are indicating it was whining, a sign of internal fluid bypassing.

On another note, it is good to hear from you......hope life is coming back together for you and your family.

Rob
Thankyou! :)

Frankly I'm not 100% sure how they know it's the steering gear that has failed ... But a pressure test has shown its not the pump and there is no leaks ... I'm trusting my local mechanic and he had always been good to me ... I will report back how it goes!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeggster: Have you ever changed the power steering fluid? If not, do you think this could have caused the pump and/or rack to fail? How many miles do you have on your 2006?
I only have about 40,000 miles and have not changed the P\S oil just added a little once ... I don't think the oil or fluid is a factor ... I assume the rack and pinion steering gear failed due to a combination of it being to "light duty" in original construction and my rough driving habits

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just FYI my 2006 limited hemi with a 2" spacer lift just had the entire rack and pinion replaced at the dealer for the tune of $1800 and change just before i bought it and it only has 54000 miles, this could be a weak link.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just FYI my 2006 limited hemi with a 2" spacer lift just had the entire rack and pinion replaced at the dealer for the tune of $1800 and change just before i bought it and it only has 54000 miles, this could be a weak link.
Yes i agree ... I'm driving on my way now to pick up a used steering gear ... my plan is after its changed ... is to save the original and send it away to be rebuilt so I have a spare one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts