Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the web a bit and found that Garvin Industries is going to be making a rack for the Commander later this year. Garvin Industries makes the cool looking safari racks with all the attachment points for high lifts and spare tires.

I found another site called Kevinsoffroad.com. Kevin was kind enough to get back to me with information about his racks. He is located in the Phoenix area and is looking for a vehicle to do prototyping on. If any of you on the list are in that area it might be worth getting in touch with Kevin. His website has the contact info. The quality of work he does seems to be great and the price is good for what is included with the roof rack. Who knows, maybe if you do the prototyping, maybe you get the prototype rack for free. Those are my thoughts and not Kevins. But I think there would have to be some benefit to letting him use your rig.

If someone does the prototyping thing please let us know how it turns out.

Bob

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rocket,

Please do let us know how it goes. I would like to have one of Kevin's racks but he can't make one until someone lets him configure it on a commander. Thanks for stepping up. If you get a chance ask him about the rock sliders/rails please!

Thanks again and I look forward to seeing what comes from this.

Bob

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the link. I looked at the link and there is no doubt in my mind you can't be the price of that rack.

I just wonder how stiff the bottom of the rack is. The design does not look like it would hold up well under a moderate load on a bumpy road. It looks like it could flex up and down??

I do not have the owners manual in front of me so I have no idea what the rated capacity of the OEM rack is, but wonder if it is more than 200lbs. I think the limiting issue would be the mounting system. This one mounts to the stock cross rails and I guess is limited to their capacity.

I want a rack primarly for loading up the camping gear, spare tire, cooler, and all the other cool stuff you use when going camping/off roading. Having the accesories like high lift mount and spare tire mount would be a bonus.

Thanks again and if you see a wilderness rack for that price, buy it and I will next day air you the cash. :)

Bob

·
Registered
31 Posts
There are guys on the LOST KJ site that have used the exact rack for sale above for exactly what you are looking for. If it says 200 then figure it will hold 150-175 range just for piece of mind. The cross rails from MOPAR are not the strongest but they should hold a good deal of weight.

Do you really need to put the spare on top? Are you going to turn your XK into an expeditionary rig or are you just looking for the look? The rack will support the weight but you will lose a lot of useful cargo space. This rack does have the light tabs available if you are looking to add KC or Hella auxillery lights. And you'll probably be able to figure out a way to mount that hi-lift with some U bolts or something.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just installed the factory roof rack. A little pricey but nice. Easy install and high quality. It should be pretty easy to remove for car wash. It's a must if you fill all the seats and need to bring luggage too.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the guys are using them and aren't having any problems with flex than I think I will look into getting one a little closer. It sounds great but does mention on the site that you have to install additional cross bracing to use the extensions.

Technical question: I noticed that the stock cross bars are bowed upwards under no load. Do they flex down when loaded? Would the bow present problems with attaching the rack?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Bob

·
Registered
80 Posts
rwall43 said:
If the guys are using them and aren't having any problems with flex than I think I will look into getting one a little closer. It sounds great but does mention on the site that you have to install additional cross bracing to use the extensions.

Technical question: I noticed that the stock cross bars are bowed upwards under no load. Do they flex down when loaded? Would the bow present problems with attaching the rack?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Bob
The factory rack fits on the stock crossbars with 4 rubber lined brackets very close to the supports on the roof (close to the sides of the vehicle) so the overall strength would be as great as the roof at those points and the rack itself. I haven't loaded it down yet but I see it supporting plenty. The arch in the crossbars won't flex (unless you put a ton up there ) but I sure don't see why they go and make them that way. Maybe wind noise factor. Btw, the rack I put on makes no added noise.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Too late tonight , but I'll post some pics asap. Basket? style. I suppose so. It's all square tubular. Rails on bottom and double set of rails wrapping around all sides with air foil at front. The brochure showed jeep logo on the foil ,but mine didn't come with one. Parts guy said there is a disclaimer that indicates the logo is subject to availability. Whatever. I like it and I didn't have to fabricate it this time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Called Kevin, left him a detailed message what we were looking at doing. He never called us back. We'll probably build our own, when we get to it... too many other projects in the works currently, maybe late in the year. We plan to put a tire carrier on the back of the Jeep for the spare tire (haven't worked out the complete design). Not sure I like the spare tire on the roof, kinda of hard to get down. We looked at a Jeep Cherokee gas tank, it looks like it will fit in the spare tire hole (saves the money of having a gas tank built)... should give us 400 - 600 mile range.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rocket,

Don't give up on Kevin yet. He has been really good at getting back to me via email. He is kinda of a one man band when it comes to answering emails. He gets over 50 a day with various technical question, inquires, and help questions.

Send him one with the same contents of your voice message and see what turns up.

Either way let us know how it goes and what cool design you come up with for a rear mounted tire carrier.

Bob

·
Registered
24 Posts
Another option for a roof mounted cargo rack is Yakima's load/mega warrior. I just put on the mega warrior with extension on my commander. I noticed it messed up my sat. reception but I'm going to move it around tonight, shouldn’t be a problem once its moved forward

I Haul a lot of bikes and a canoe or kayaks around very often. The Yakima’s ability to mount all their various bike/boat attachments made it the basket of choice for me. I like the look as well.
I’ll try and get some pictures up soon.

Link to yakima racks: http://www.yakima.com/Product.aspx?id=66

Chip

·
Registered
24 Posts
Glad to help. Here are some pictues of my commander with the Mega Warrior with extention. I also have a bike tray on there but its an add on piece. I still havent moved the basket forward to help the Sat signal so be aware that it might be a problem with this rack. The load warrior is the same rack but is not as wide.

Chip

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sorry about the size of the picture. I had to keep resizing down before the website would take them and thats what I ended up with.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts