Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend has a 2010 commander with the 5.7l motor, the radiator fan needs replaced and now it has a power steering leak. Does anyone have a write up on how to go about replacing these? Seems like everything is shoved in the bay and not much room to work with.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I havent replaced mine but had to get the fan out of the way to replace radiator and water pump.

The fan is hydraulic and is powered by the power steering pump.

There is a valve that is computer controlled that diverts flow to the fan.

Fluid is hard to find and not much out there for support. I use universal hydraulic fluid in mine and have been for a year since replacing the steering rack...

·
Super Moderator
15,091 Posts
I havent replaced mine but had to get the fan out of the way to replace radiator and water pump.

The fan is hydraulic and is powered by the power steering pump.

There is a valve that is computer controlled that diverts flow to the fan.

Fluid is hard to find and not much out there for support. I use universal hydraulic fluid in mine and have been for a year since replacing the steering rack...
You can get the fluid at a dealer. I would not use anything but the Mopar fluid.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Mine just went as well. They are $1400 new. I found a article where the guy says you can just pull it apart with a tool and replace the o rings. The mopar fluid is a thicker, high pressure hydraulic fluid that can withstand more abuse and heat. If you don't have a leak, it takes only one.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Quick update. I initially looked down into the engine compartment and saw oil around the fan assembly and a large leak directly below it. Prior to ordering any parts I got under it today and traced the oil back to the apparently the pump itself. It was leaking down the hoses and getting pulled up into the fan. So hopefully it is just a $100 ps pump.

·
Super Moderator
15,091 Posts
Quick update. I initially looked down into the engine compartment and saw oil around the fan assembly and a large leak directly below it. Prior to ordering any parts I got under it today and traced the oil back to the apparently the pump itself. It was leaking down the hoses and getting pulled up into the fan. So hopefully it is just a $100 ps pump.
I've got my fingers crossed for you. Good luck!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hey bud, thanks. I got lucky. It was not the fan.

I bought a brand new A1 pump instead of a reman. When my brother popped the old one off, the seal was wet and leaking. We assumed it was the only leak as fluid was leaking down the hoses from it and the engine under the pump was pretty filthy.

I had to get a new pulley as I chipped the old one. After cleaning everything and installing the new pump it began leaking upon startup. I get under it and watch as my bro ran it. I see fluid coming from a spot in the pressure hose coming of the pump. I wipe all the hoses and it is the only one with an obvious leak. I zip over to the stealership and get a new one. We replace it, start it up and bam, a new leak. My bro was like wtf already. I laughed as I get under it. Only 4 more to go. I watched as he started it and it was now the fan to rack pressure hose leaking. I went back and bought it and the return line just in case but after replacing it, the leaks were no more.

The leaks would make their way down to the bumper deflector and then get whipped up into the fan while i was driving making it look like it was leaking.

Pump was $150 CAD, hoses wereabout $250.

·
Super Moderator
15,091 Posts
Glad you got it fixed!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts