Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new here! I recently became an owner of an 06 XK Limited Hemi 5.7 4x4 with 121k miles and I’m absolutely in love! I was getting familiar with them by reading posts on here and I stumbled upon a thread talking about specific coolant. I realized the previous owner had put green coolant and I immediately wanted to flush it out and put the correct Mopar coolant! Well when I was under the radiator, I started to unscrew the radiator drain plug **** and the plastic tab broke! I tried different methods and ultimately went with drilling it and picking out the bits. I went to Auto Zone to buy a new **** but it wouldn’t plug back in so I went back again and bought a Dorman brass universal drain **** and then realized I completely stripped the threads inside and now it won’t catch! I’m so frustrated and I’ve given up trying to mess with it anymore so I’m looking into buying a new radiator. Is there any specific one that anyone would recommend? Are they all the same? I looked on rockauto.com and there’s a Mopar radiator that says hydraulic engine cooling on the description and none of the other less expensive ones say that so I was a little confused as to what would be a better option. If you can help this new and desperate Jeep owner I’d really appreciate it!

·
Registered
2010 Jeep Commander Limited 5.7L QDII
196 Posts
I would generally say go with OEM. As an alternative Auto zone gives a lifetime warranty ...https://www.autozone.com/cooling-heating-and-climate-control/radiator/duralast-radiator-b2840/207703_1093513_0

·
Registered
227 Posts
I replaced my OEM radiator with a Denso brand radiator a couple of years ago when the OEM radiator plastic end tank cracked. A lot cheaper than OEM and looks every bit as good. I know that Denso supplies jeep with some of their components under the Chrysler brand. Not sure if the radiators are made by them though.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have used Spectra Premium with good success. I bought one from Rock Auto. My first one was obviously a repackaged return and it was damaged due to poor packaging. Rock Auto sent me a second one next day and it was perfect.

But, if you have the money, OEM is probably the best way to go.

The great news is that they are not hard to swap out at all.

Lastly, Zerex G05 is an excellent HOAT antifreeze, if you don’t want to pay the MOPAR price.

Reactions: mynordlc

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve seen both of those options on Rock Auto so I can’t go wrong with either of them which definitely cleared me of my doubts, thanks for your responses!! As for the installation, is the 5.7 a little trickier than the other engine options? I was reading about them being a little different so I just wanted to make sure.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Have patience. You have to contend with the hydraulic fan, ac lines, and transmission cooler lines. An extra set of hands is helpful. I was pulling my engine so took everything apart. I’m not sure how easy it is to just slip the radiator out. Special fluid for the power steering also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have patience. You have to contend with the hydraulic fan, ac lines, and transmission cooler lines. An extra set of hands is helpful. I was pulling my engine so took everything apart. I’m not sure how easy it is to just slip the radiator out. Special fluid for the power steering also.

Ok thanks for that info, sucks I have to go through all this trouble thanks to that stupid drain plug! I was reading after I ruined it that everyone seems to recommend never touch that drain plug and use the lower radiator hose lol

·
Registered
116 Posts
Might be a blessing in disguise, a new radiator will help it cool better and these have a tendency to overheat, then drop valve seats and trash the motor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Might be a blessing in disguise, a new radiator will help it cool better and these have a tendency to overheat, then drop valve seats and trash the motor.

Yeah you’re right, it just took away from the Superlift fund but at least I won’t be lifted with overheating problems lol

·
Registered
227 Posts
While you have the radiator out it may be worth considering replacing the water pump as well, depending on how many miles are on it. It's an easy job to replace without the radiator in place and would be the most likely thing to fail besides the thermostat in your cooling system.

Dan

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
While you have the radiator out it may be worth considering replacing the water pump as well, depending on how many miles are on it. It's an easy job to replace without the radiator in place and would be the most likely thing to fail besides the thermostat in your cooling system.

Dan
That’s a really great suggestion, might as well since I am taking stuff apart!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.