Jeep Commander Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Of course while getting my cooling system rebuilt with power steering pump, radiator and thermostat, the pressure change got the water pump leaking. So, now that’s new (Mopar)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Of course while getting my cooling system rebuilt with power steering pump, radiator and thermostat, the pressure change got the water pump leaking. So, now that’s new (Mopar)!
I hear ya... I'm about halfway done with that list. LOL

·
Super Moderator
6,930 Posts

On these older vehicles like ours, if you're replacing the thermostat, it only makes sense to replace the water-pump at the same time, if you suspect - or know, it hasn't been changed before.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
(Not so) long term update on the 180* thermostat & 2nd'ary trans cooler.
Thermo: rarely seeing temps breach 200 anymore. 183 to 197 is the new average range. This is a good thing.
Trans cooler: temps staying on average 20* cooler vs before. Ive only hit 180 once since installation. Another good thing... b/c I live in hot ass swampy Florida.

An unexpected benefit is better mileage. About two miles / gallon worth. Yeah, I'll take it! And my anxiety over dropping a valve seat has been subdued.

Reactions: drm4633

·
Super Moderator
6,930 Posts
Thermo: rarely seeing temps breach 200 anymore. 183 to 197 is the new average range. This is a good thing.
Trans cooler: temps staying on average 20* cooler vs before. Ive only hit 180 once since installation. Another good thing... b/c I live in hot ass swampy Florida.

An unexpected benefit is better mileage. About two miles / gallon worth. Yeah, I'll take it! And my anxiety over dropping a valve seat has been subdued.
Wow that's great. I can see this upgrade in my future.....

Reactions: Arapahoe

·
Registered
438 Posts

Good info...

What was the outdoor ambient temp?

I towed 3 dirtbikes for 2hrs yesterday 80deg doing 75mph on I65. Coolant 210 and trans 172 degF. I have 205 degF thermostat...

Ive read that trans cooling systems have their own thermostat to maintain trans temps. Wonder how the 180 degF thermostat plays into that ( if we have it?)

Reactions: Arapahoe

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Good info...

What was the outdoor ambient temp?

I towed 3 dirtbikes for 2hrs yesterday 80deg doing 75mph on I65. Coolant 210 and trans 172 degF. I have 205 degF thermostat...

Ive read that trans cooling systems have their own thermostat to maintain trans temps. Wonder how the 180 degF thermostat plays into that ( if we have it?)

Since installation temps have ranged from 92 to 60. Not sure about the trans cooling thermostat... i added the external cooler because i was nearing trans fluid temps of 220 this summer. And given the hemi's history, i feel much better about lower coolant temps vs higher.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts