Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...

I have a radiator leak as shown in the pics. This is just below the cap. My question is can I just give that hex bolt a quarter turn to see if the leak stops or is there a gasket behind it that may need replacing? Can I unscrew it and use teflon tape to help stop the leak?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,930 Posts
Krista, I'll be completely honest - I've never looked at, or noticed that bolt before.

My guess (and this is really just a guess) is that there is probably an o-ring of some kind behind that bolt that has failed.

I don't think tightening the bolt another quarter turn will solve the problem.

My advice would be to take that bolt out when the engine is completely cold and get a good look at exactly what you're dealing with.

That would probably make it much easier to choose the proper course of action.

Reactions: krwallis

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just found this thread. Have the exact same leak on my Commander. Anyone know if this plug can be removed and if so the o-ring if any can replaced?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just found this thread. Have the exact same leak on my Commander. Anyone know if this plug can be removed and if so the o-ring if any can replaced?
I am having the same problem. I removed that plug, replaced the o-ring, and when I tried to put it back, the cap broke off (due to age is my guess). I can't find the plug anywhere apart from buying a new radiator - have you had any luck?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I am having the same problem. I removed that plug, replaced the o-ring, and when I tried to put it back, the cap broke off (due to age is my guess). I can't find the plug anywhere apart from buying a new radiator - have you had any luck?
I doubt that plug is sold separately from the radiator. Your best bet will be to find a parts jeep and see if you can get just the plug. remember grand Cherokees (wk) are the same so if you find one of those radiator parts should be interchangeable as well.

How did yours break? just the top shear off? split in half? you may be able to rig yours back together with some epoxy and use a washer or something on the inside to add some rigidity.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I doubt that plug is sold separately from the radiator. Your best bet will be to find a parts jeep and see if you can get just the plug. remember grand Cherokees (wk) are the same so if you find one of those radiator parts should be interchangeable as well.

How did yours break? just the top shear off? split in half? you may be able to rig yours back together with some epoxy and use a washer or something on the inside to add some rigidity.
That's a good suggestion. The top sheared off. Couldn't hold pressure against a washer/gasket if it tried at this point. I overtightened. I've actually ordered a cheap radiator that has the same plug - I plan to take that one off and put it in mine. My radiator is fine, so I doubt I'll even need the replacement. If this doesn't fix it, then I will buy a better radiator. Just don't want to have to disconnect the hydraulic lines to my fan, and the transmission coolant lines just to get a working radiator out of there over a stupid plastic plug.

·
Registered
212 Posts
That's a good suggestion. The top sheared off. Couldn't hold pressure against a washer/gasket if it tried at this point. I overtightened. I've actually ordered a cheap radiator that has the same plug - I plan to take that one off and put it in mine. My radiator is fine, so I doubt I'll even need the replacement. If this doesn't fix it, then I will buy a better radiator. Just don't want to have to disconnect the hydraulic lines to my fan, and the transmission coolant lines just to get a working radiator out of there over a stupid plastic plug.
ya if the whole top sheared the washer wouldn't help thought maybe it was just a hole or something. and agreed that would be a ton of work just for a busted plug. at least this way you got a back up radiator if needed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts