Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, my wife was driving her commander home and she said that the radio went completely black, but continued to play music. I don't know if it had any affect on it, but she said she had turned the heat on about 30 seconds before it went out. Anyone know of a fix? I wouldn't think that there is a fuse just for the light. Are the bulbs known to go out? And if so, how hard of a fix is it to replace?

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Neither of those discussions give any instructions on how to replace the screen, that I saw. How difficult or involved is it?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, an update. My wife told me that the screen went out 2 days ago. It was also out yesterday. As of this morning, the screen is working. Is it normal to cut in and out like that?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Mine has had colored lines on it for two years, but the screen just started this week to go in and out, interested if I need a new unit or new screen.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Mine has had colored lines on it for two years, but the screen just started this week to go in and out, interested if I need a new unit or new screen.
In your case the screen is getting ready to go out. See the links I posted below.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Judging from those posts, it seems almost as cheap buy an aftermarket radio as it would be to fix the screen. My only concern is an aftermarket radio using the factory hands free Bluetooth, steering wheel controls, Boston speaker upgrade and sirius hookups. Do aftermarket radios utilize these factory options?

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Judging from those posts, it seems almost as cheap buy an aftermarket radio as it would be to fix the screen. My only concern is an aftermarket radio using the factory hands free Bluetooth, steering wheel controls, Boston speaker upgrade and sirius hookups. Do aftermarket radios utilize these factory options?
If you call Crutchfield they will tell you everything you need to know.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you call Crutchfield they will tell you everything you need to know.
I've already talked to a rep from Crutchfield. He said they didn't have anything that will work with the Bluetooth or satellite radio (I forgot to ask about the back up camera). I'm hopeful that someone else makes harnesses for these things.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Not to hijack this thread, just want to know if the Bose Sound system would have come standard or part of a package in an 08 XK limited? If so did it have U-connect?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I discovered tonight, that the steering wheel controls have quit working. The volume up and down work on the right side, but the left side does not work at all. I tried the preset buttons on the receiver itself, and they seem to work. Would this still be screen related?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mine has been doing that for a year or more. I think it's a communication/ temperature related glitch. My screen will go black when it's cold. All the sound and buttons on the radio still work but the steering wheel controls stop. Sometimes it gets slow or unresponsive right before the screen goes out. It usually comes back on after it warms up. It's annoying but as long as it keeps playing music I can live with it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is a common issue with that NAV system. Mine will work when it's cold or wet out for a few minutes and then the screen and all the radio controls outside of the presets will go out. I read it was related to the uConnect and to pull some fuses and that should reset everything and it will work again. No luck with that nonsense.

The dealer told me it was the steering knob that controlled the interior light dimmer. However, I imagine that's garbage too. I'm sure the radio is just going bad.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts