Jeep Commander Forum banner

Radio quit

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  jeep5253 
#1 ·
Just got back from a vacation in New England. The Commander performed great. It's an '06 with a 3.7. It has the stock AM/FM single cd unit. The day after I get back, I start it up and I have no radio. The time is not displayed and no power. If I turn on the headlights, the dials and buttons illuminate. If I hit cd eject, you can hear the mechanism inside. If you hit clock, the time will display for about 5 seconds then disappear. Has this happened to anyone else?

#3 ·
If u check your fuse and ground and that doesn't fix it I am selling my OEM 6 disc Stereo. It is in perfect condition. I can provide pictures if you want.

#4 ·
Radio quit--followup

I drove the Jeep to the first stealership. I arrived there at 7:35am and talked to the service counter guy. I described the issue I was having and showed him the TSB that "somewhat" matched the problem with my radio. It called for hooking the vehicle up to the Star Scan computer. He hemmed and hawed but finally said all his 8:00 appointments were going to be arriving and since I didn't have an appointment, he wouldn't be able to fit me in. I told him that was fine--there's another Jeep stealership down the road, so I went there. I talked to the counter guy there, explained to him what was going on and showed him the TSB. He read it and and said that it didn't match exactly with my problem. He said they don't fix radios there, they just replace them and it sounded like I needed a new radio. He didn't even want to take the time to hook it up to the computer. He said they would need the VIN of my vehicle, serial # of the radio, blah, blah, blah. I said nevermind, I would try elsewhere. In my area we have a small family-owned dealership (I'll use the correct term in this case) that was one of the dealerships that had their Chrysler franchise pulled by the corporation to cut costs. He kept the place open, selling used cars so he could keep his sales folks and mechanics. In the mean time, he fought the company for pulling the franchise and he won!! By the end of August, he should be selling the full product line again! Anyway, I called them and asked if they still had all their equipment including the Star Scan and he said they did. I described the problem and the TSB I had. He said bring on in and they would be willing to check it over and hook it up. He said it could very well be that I needed a new radio, but you never know. I took it there and they got me in right away. A half hour later, he comes to me and said I was all set. All they did is hook it up and reprogram the ECU and my radio is now back to normal. Long story, I know, but I thought I'd follow up if anyone cared. Thank God for the little family-owned, customer friendly businesses. The losers in this story were Langan Jeep in Schenectady, NY and Armory Jeep in Albany, NY. The winner is Terry Morris Chrysler-Jeep in Burnt Hills, NY.

#5 ·
Please give the TSB number for others who may have this problem in the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.