Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the new to me 2008 Commander had developed an issue with the radio. While driving it will shut off and restart for no apparent reason. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the terrain so I don't suspect a loose connection getting jostled over rough roads. It will just shut off and within a matter of seconds power up again. Curious if anyone has experienced a similar issue before I tear the dash apart and dive in.

·
Registered
178 Posts
So the new to me 2008 Commander had developed an issue with the radio. While driving it will shut off and restart for no apparent reason. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with the terrain so I don't suspect a loose connection getting jostled over rough roads. It will just shut off and within a matter of seconds power up again. Curious if anyone has experienced a similar issue before I tear the dash apart and dive in.
mine (also a 2008) started doing this. It would power cycle randomly then got to a point where it would do it nonstop. It was super weird, I pulled my radio and put it in my brothers wk and it worked just fine. put it back in my commander and it power cycled. Put his radio in my xk and it worked fine... So we swapped radios. My radio in his jeep is still working just fine, while his radio in my jeep started power cycling a few months later. I think it has something to do with the amp signal. I didn't investigate too hard, just went with an aftermarket unit.

·
Administrator
6,939 Posts
@Jim D; Welcome to the forum;

Do you have the Media Center 430 CD/DVD/MP3/HDD as your factory radio?

Have you pulled your factory build sheet yet?

If you have the Media Center 430 CD/DVD/MP3/HDD it's most likely a failing HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and the only fix for that is a new radio/head unit.

Also, please read the New Member Required Reading below and complete your profile signature as directed, in order to comply with the forum rules;

Thanks & welcome aboard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is the media center 430.
Wondering if it's worth it to go aftermarket or just get OEM and not have to deal with a custom wiring harness. Any suggestions either way?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mine (also a 2008) started doing this. It would power cycle randomly then got to a point where it would do it nonstop. It was super weird, I pulled my radio and put it in my brothers wk and it worked just fine. put it back in my commander and it power cycled. Put his radio in my xk and it worked fine... So we swapped radios. My radio in his jeep is still working just fine, while his radio in my jeep started power cycling a few months later. I think it has something to do with the amp signal. I didn't investigate too hard, just went with an aftermarket unit.
And your aftermarket unit is not giving you any problems? I'm hesitant to go that route for several reasons. Don't want to deal with a custom wiring harness and like the backup camera feature.

·
Registered
178 Posts
And your aftermarket unit is not giving you any problems? I'm hesitant to go that route for several reasons. Don't want to deal with a custom wiring harness and like the backup camera feature.
Yep aftermarket unit is working just fine, I even retained the use of the steering wheel buttons and the factory back up camera. It definitely isnt the cheapest route, but as much as stock replacement were, I was ok with spending a little more to get all the added functionality (android auto, Bluetooth music, OBDII reader, etc...

The wiring was a little tedious because it's such a tight space but wasn't too crazy. The hardest part for me was that the unit wasn't really a direct fit so I had to trim some of the plastic where the unit fits into the center console.

·
Administrator
6,939 Posts
@Jim D;

I replaced my factory head unit 3 times in a year and a half, before I came to the conclusion that they are just outdated & unreliable.

Reconditioned ones & "new ones" alike - because even the "new" ones have been sitting on a shelf in a warehouse somewhere for 8-10 years or longer.

I wound up going with a new Pioneer AVH-X490BS CD/DVD RDS AV head unit with Sirius XM Receiver about 2 1/2 to 3 years ago.

I love it and haven't had a single problem with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes, it is definitely worth your while to leave the old radio behind. Even the "VES" or whatever the hell it's called with its DVD player, touch screen and GPS capabilities is incredibly outdated. Big Blue pointed out something that touches on a huge issue with electronics manufactured around the decade of the 00's, just google: capacitor plague. The nutshell is that electrolytic capacitors were generally made very cheap during this time frame, and an aftereffect of this is that many if not most of them were made just plain wrong. This causes an earlier than expected failure of the device due to the capacitors leaking. Usually this can be solved by finding the burst capacitor and replacing it, but some devices may have many caps that are affected.

With something as disposable and commonplace as a car stereo, you really are better off just getting a brand new one made more recently than wasting time with older equipment. All you need is the right harness and you can retain CANBUS compatibility with your steering wheel controls. If you have an overhead monitor and/or reverse camera it's more work, but it isn't any more complicated than running new wiring up over the head liner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts