Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I were to upgrade from the basic radio to the CD changer version. Does the dealership need to activate this radio? I have read some radios have this type of security feature. Is that the case here? I don't want to buy it second hand and wrongly accuse the seller of sending me a non functional unit. Please let me know, thanks...

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I know for a fact you can put a 6-disk changer from a 2005 Magnum in the Jeep without any dealership interaction. I do not know if you can put a 2006 or newer radio in. I could loan you my 06 single disk radio and if it works, any should.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I believe activation is only involved for getting the satellite radio portion to work.

You can do that yourself, WKJEEPS.COM has instructions on getting the ESN to display which is what you would need to give to Sirius.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
As a follow up, yes it is a swap, and a no brainer at all. However, I still can't figure out how to program radio stations for the numbers 7 and above. I tried holding down the button, double "clicking", but no luck so far. I have no manual so any help on this is very welcome. Nice upgrade and I saved almost $400 if I bought from stealership.

Thanks again as usual.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Press the "Set" button twice so the display reads "P2" or similar.

Where did you get the radio?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought it from a fellow forum user who upgraded to a navigation system. I am happy with my investment as I don't like aftermarket radios that look way too small in the center of the dash. Any acceptable options other than this were all too much $$$.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Just found one on Ebay for $200 plus shipping, think that's too much?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I paid $210.00 so that is a good price. If you want, PM the username to make sure it is not the same guy that tried to scam me before. Here is the story in a nut shell, I purchased this radio from ebay, note that I funded my paypal account with a credit card (important later). The thing is the radio comes broken, I installed and it didn't work. I contacted the seller, no response. I contacted eBay/Paypal, and their response was that they cannot guarantee the quality of goods purchased, only that I received the items. There was nothing I could do, nor they would do anything to protect me as their customer. Well, and here is the important part of this story, because I funded the transaction with a credit card, I was able to do a chargeback through my bank/credit card institution. If I had paid with Paypal funds, eCheck, or Paypal Credit card, I would have lost my money. Have in mind that if you have enough funds in your Paypal account, they will not let you fund a transaction with a credit card. Thank God I had cleaned up my Paypal account and funded my transaction this way. Summary, whatever you buy from eBay, make sure you fund your transaction with a credit card that would offer you protection.

The second radio I purchased from a user of this forum. I paid him with Paypal and funded the transaction with a credit card. Good thing there is still honest people out there.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
The seller is ranchorecyclers, looks like a reputable shop, 99.2% positive feedback. I think I'll take the plunge & pick it up, I can always install it and then warranty it out if its bad through DCX.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DCX will ask you for an invoice from an authorized dealer. If you fund your Paypal with a credit card for this particular transaction, you should be ok. I purchased fog lights through ebay that later needed service, and the dealership asked for such invoice, which thankfully I was able to provide.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Radio is bought and paid for, will wait for the sender to ship it out. Dabitz, thanks for the suggestion about paying with CC, I'll do that from now on.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No problem. Let me know if you need help with installation. It is piece of cake, literally, plug and play.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Figured that, already had the dash apart to install my panavise mount for my Sirius Sportster.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
On the same subject... I would love to subscribe to Sirius, but I don't' feel like spending almost 300 bucks on the antenna and kit. Does anyone know if I need the whole kit if I install the antenna in the dash? I read somewhere that if you put the antenna in the dash it works as well as in the roof.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
It works better on the roof but okay on the dash. I wouldn't buy the DCX unit unless it came with the truck. Just get an Aux. input adapter like this: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-tQzrkDbuXwq/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=50900&I=469CH04AUX and then you can plug any satellite radio directly into the headunit w/o using an FM modulator. That way you can get a better radio that's not captive in the car.

I'll take some pics of mine once I get the new HU & adapter installed so you can see what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Too late for that. I do like the 6CD changer and factory look. Sirius for me would be nice to add but not a must.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts