Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1,993 Posts
I don't think I've seen anyone use those before. Did you see the ones I made out of unistrut? Its a very cheap way to go and it holds up as well. I've had over 400LBS on the rack with these and no issues so far. They also make great mounting surface for other things like lights fishing rod holders what ever you can think of.
UniStrut Mod

·
Registered
125 Posts
Pardon me for jumpin' in here.

Sal, that looks terrific. I've a couple of questions, if you don't mind.

What length did you cut the cross rails to? Did you consider putting on the plastic end caps? Did you primer and rattle can paint them?

(O.K., three questions :) )

I'm gonna have to give that a try, I think, just to see how it looks.

Regards,

Jim

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Great Mod Sal,

One question. I found the struts and brackets online for dirt cheap, but how do you mount it to the Commander? Looks like maybe a wasker fit down inside your rails but what size? I probably just need to go out to mine and look at it.

Damn fine idea though, thanks for sharing and potentially saving me $100!!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Dude, Sal, YOU DA MAN!! i am an electrician with a pile of unisrut and i NEVER thought to do this. and i actually need cross bars to! i have shelves full of brackets, nuts, bolts, clamps for all pipe sizes, every accessory for unistrut. im a "do it yourself" kind of guy and i feel like the biggest idiot for not thinking of this. guess what ill be working on this weekend? now we just need to figure out how to cap the ends. ill check my local supply house to see if there is such a cap already made. im also curious to know if you painted yours? ill probably rattle can mine. thanks for the idea man!!

EDIT: i found some plastic end caps for the unistrut. also, unistrut is available in stainless steel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't think I've seen anyone use those before. Did you see the ones I made out of unistrut? Its a very cheap way to go and it holds up as well. I've had over 400LBS on the rack with these and no issues so far. They also make great mounting surface for other things like lights fishing rod holders what ever you can think of.
UniStrut Mod
Are you able to mount a tire to your rack?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts