Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
07 Commander limited 4.7 Flex fuel V8
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Situation as follows:

I was driving in thre expressway, it was raining, suddenly it began to rain really hard, visual was at a minimal I hit a large puddle of water at about 40mph, the comannder stalled. Got home in a tow truck.

Verified:
Fuses, ok
Air filter, dry
Spark plugs, dry
Motor Oil, no water,oil is good
Starter was taken for test, starter Good
Verified all ground connections, all are good.
Checked and disconnected and reconnected all harnesses, all wires are ok.
Rotated the engine to verify if it was locked, engine is not locked.

Symptoms are as follows:
Once you try to start it, it makes one click sound, it won't start, but also you must wait about 15 seconds for it to power back up, during those 15 seconds nothing works, no windows no radio, also if you pull out the key the dash panel lights stay on for about 10 seconds.
The battery is a brand new AGM battery not a month old it's currently at 12.5v
Also the front light switch is acting up. Lights up after 2 attempts. So im lost help please.

·
Registered
2006 5.7 4x4 Limited
16 Posts
Did you try the "remove negative battery cable terminal, and positive battery cable terminal. Strap them together with ziptie or wire. Let them sit for a few hours, then re-connect to battery"?

·
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
887 Posts
It sure sounds like a bad battery! I know you said it was new a few months ago, but batteries are strange creatures, they go bad just about any time. Even if the voltage looks good, the amps are what you need. A bad battery causes all kinds of strange electrical problems.
Take it to an auto store and have it load tested. My 4 year warranty battery went bad after about 1.5years. I couldn't start and it tested good at the store where I bought it, but a new battery fixed it.
Also have you tried to jump start it?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys, quik follow up, the battery it's definitely fine, i tried the reset thing, after doing a bit of more online research I found that fuse 24 in the inside box was blown. Fuse used by pdc,fcm,a580 (r/s). I have no clue what it's for 😅
After replacing it, it turned over and ran again..whoo hoo.. but not so fast. Now im getting all kinds if codes u0141, p0480

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I turned it on, it was running ok parked, i put it in reverse and the rear parking sensor came on, the gauges went dead, lights unresponsive, i turned it off and went to turn it back on and now all i get is a clunk and a check gauges signal from inside 🤦🏻‍♂️
My jeep is either possessed or very angry at me now.

·
Registered
2006 5.7 4x4 Limited
16 Posts
yellow wire at starter on this V6 Commander (starts at 4:35 on this video):

permanent fix for above issue:

Alternator trying to charge bad battery causing codes/lights/etc on 4.7 Commander:

·
Registered
2006 5.7 4x4 Limited
16 Posts
More yellow wire on starter connection:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, new follow up, drove the car for a bit, everything was fine, suddenly check engine light came on, i ran the diagnostic and gave 14 U codes. Lights went dead for a sec then came back on, Now im lost. Could it be something loose or does it need to be programmed? It drove fine for about 15min with no issues.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Starter is good.
Battery is good.
All fuses checked and good.
All ground cables are good.
Ignition switch is good.
Im kinda lost as to why all the codes and most refer to loose connections. Im gonna recheck all the harnesses and connections to see if i left something loss, I've been working on the car with an injured thumb, so there is a possibility.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok guys, final update, My BABY Back to normal, apparently my dumb ass forgot to tighten the 15mm nut from the BCM yesterday. I thank everyone for there responses and help and most of all thre creator if this community, it's been very helpful and honestly i think i would had gotten rid od my jeep had it not been for you guys here. Thanks. Sincerely
J. Morales

·
Administrator
15,875 Posts
Ok guys, final update, My BABY Back to normal, apparently my dumb ass forgot to tighten the 15mm nut from the BCM yesterday. I thank everyone for there responses and help and most of all thre creator if this community, it's been very helpful and honestly i think i would had gotten rid od my jeep had it not been for you guys here. Thanks. Sincerely
J. Morales
Glad you found the fix!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a question ... why didn’t you take your “baby” to a Jeep dealership for a proper repair? It would have been far easier than second guessing.

·
Registered
2006 5.7 4x4 Limited
16 Posts
I have a question ... why didn’t you take your “baby” to a Jeep dealership for a proper repair? It would have been far easier than second guessing.
@JanMaree Where's the challenge in that? Proper repair? You have more faith in stealerships than me. How many parts would the dealer have replaced before they found the loose connection (then still charged for the new parts and installation)?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Honestly, after working in a dealership back in my days, I had a boss who charged a mother of three $35 for a single fuse that i found was blown, back then fuses where like .74 cents. I really don't trust anyone with my cars, plus I live in Puerto Rico, mechanics here are like the politicians 😅😂😂.
Plus i enjoy working on my car and learning.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Situation as follows:

I was driving in thre expressway, it was raining, suddenly it began to rain really hard, visual was at a minimal I hit a large puddle of water at about 40mph, the comannder stalled. Got home in a tow truck.

Verified:
Fuses, ok
Air filter, dry
Spark plugs, dry
Motor Oil, no water,oil is good
Starter was taken for test, starter Good
Verified all ground connections, all are good.
Checked and disconnected and reconnected all harnesses, all wires are ok.
Rotated the engine to verify if it was locked, engine is not locked.

Symptoms are as follows:
Once you try to start it, it makes one click sound, it won't start, but also you must wait about 15 seconds for it to power back up, during those 15 seconds nothing works, no windows no radio, also if you pull out the key the dash panel lights stay on for about 10 seconds.
The battery is a brand new AGM battery not a month old it's currently at 12.5v
Also the front light switch is acting up. Lights up after 2 attempts. So im lost help please.
A friend had that happen just months after he got it. Jeep(Chrys wouldn't replace it. He was told that the Commander is not built to go through depths of water. But, his engine seized. Sounds to me you have water in the cabin and/or alternator is confused/motherboard maybe. Pull up you carpet in both front sears. If it's wet, start there. The little nipples that are connected and drain the water along the channel tubes may be the real culprit. Bad design but easy fix on utube. She just might be soaking wet and the nipples need to be cut open a little bit more. Been there. Good luck!

·
Administrator
15,875 Posts
A friend had that happen just months after he got it. Jeep(Chrys wouldn't replace it. He was told that the Commander is not built to go through depths of water. But, his engine seized. Sounds to me you have water in the cabin and/or alternator is confused/motherboard maybe. Pull up you carpet in both front sears. If it's wet, start there. The little nipples that are connected and drain the water along the channel tubes may be the real culprit. Bad design but easy fix on utube. She just might be soaking wet and the nipples need to be cut open a little bit more. Been there. Good luck!
@Gina Marie Please read the complete thread before responding. If you will go back and read you will see that he found the solution to the problem (Hint: Post #12)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts