Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is truly incredible to test the ability of the mighty XK. Today I was playing on a ramp behind my work and after driving half way up the ramp my wife said "OH you can't make it all the way to the top". So I continued on despite her concern that both the left rear and right front tires were not touching the ground I continued on. The QTII system works great in its abiltiy to determine which wheels are spinng and lock them up.

Attachments

·
Registered
735 Posts
nice pictures and good to see how much the suspension can stretch. also what size tires are you running and what lift?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Any side pics?

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry no side pics my wife was to scared I was going to roll it she couldn't even move. LOL. I have a 2.25 RR lift on 265/70/17 tires and stock wheels spaced out 1.5"

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FYI that ramp is about 26" high at the top

·
Registered
735 Posts
nice job and thanx man.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Well done, I like such tests :)

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
That really good looking. Nice flex on that XK!

·
Registered
45 Posts
very nice. thanks for sharing.
i want to find a ramp like that around here and go up it on one wheel once with my front sway bars connected and a second time with them disconnected and find out once and for all if disconnecting my front sways will added noticeable articulation.

you say the ramp was 36inches on top? were any tires off the ground?

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't say for sure the difference you will notice. Usually its only on a solid axle that the sway bar makes a difference I don't think its going to help you out too much with and IFS. The ramp was 26" high at the top where the tire stopped.

·
Registered
45 Posts
adamag25 said:
I can't say for sure the difference you will notice. Usually its only on a solid axle that the sway bar makes a difference I don't think its going to help you out too much with and IFS. The ramp was 26" high at the top where the tire stopped.
yeah probably not that big a difference. That's what everyone keeps telling me. but i'd like to try disconnecting anyways though and measure the difference (if any).. Reason being is that a simillar experiment i did when i was younger with my old Tacoma (also with front IFS) that involved an unstable stack of bricks on my parents driveway (probably not the brightest idea). My results actually showed the IFS gaining a little more flex up front when disco'ing the front sways. On the flip side... for traction, with Quadradrive II it doesn't really matter if we kick up a wheel in the air anywys since the system automatically stops power going to the free wheel. however, i'd still like to try to keep all 4 wheels on the ground for stability on off cambered trails. the teter-toterring 3 wheel motion gets a little hairy sometimes :D

·
Banned
1,397 Posts
I have some pictures of a ramp that was built for the Jeep exhibition at the NY International Auto Show. It's a relatively modest incline, but it has rollers spaced apart so that 3 of 4 wheels are always on the rollers. It shows off the Jeep 4wd system to show how any one wheel with traction will allow the vehicle to continue moving.

The first station has both rear wheels and the passenger side front wheel on rollers and the second station has just the opposite--both front wheels on rollers as well as the driver's side rear. The Jeeps are able to keep climbing through both stations without much trouble. Interestingly, every Jeep on the course had QDII. The show drivers told me that they only allowed QDII Jeeps on the course because the other 4wd systems were not able to overcome all of the obstacles.

If I can find the pics, I'll post them up...

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
you will notice a huge difference in the rear with the sway bars disconnected. there is a lot more travel in the rear with out the swaybar hooked up.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I agree with 4.7 on the rear swaybar. But from what I experienced today the rear axle wants to keep the jeep setting level while one of the front tires is off the ground. Correct me if i'm wrong but if the rear is loosened up it may cause you to lean too much and possibly tip. Also the left upper control arm in the rear is pretty tight to the fuel tank It may hit in extreme conditions. I have had a YJ and TJ and even wheel a ZJ and CJ. Beside being alittle light on the ground clearance the XK's combination of the QTII and the suspension setup makes for a real nice offroad ride

·
Registered
45 Posts
adamag25 said:
But from what I experienced today the rear axle wants to keep the jeep setting level while one of the front tires is off the ground. Correct me if i'm wrong but if the rear is loosened up it may cause you to lean too much and possibly tip.
that is why i am very hesitant in disconnecting my rear sway bar and is why many of the wrangler guys keep their rear sway bars on. more articulation in the rear isn't always best for ya. Since the rear of the vehicle usually carries more weight than the front when crawling up an obstacle then ideally your rear should keep you leveled and your front should articulate the most, and is why front solid axle is more desired for real offroad. no offense but i think disconnecting your rear sway bar is only safe if you offroad in reverse. i could be wrong though, but its just my theory.

as for the front sway bar with our IFS front ends. i did a little research and stumbled accross a thread in the 4Runner forums http://www.yotatech.com/f2/2nd-gen-ifs-sway-front-sway-bar-really-important-37538/ lotta guys (and gals?) are experiencing noticable articulation gains up front in there Toyotas.

Now with my experiment back in my olden days with my Tacoma and the pile of bricks, i found out that one of the reasons why one of my front tires left the ground so soon when going up a one sided ramp was that the front sway bar when connected, did not allow the front corner holding the vehicle's weight to fully compress.... and on the other side, the connected sway bar did not let the supension fully extend, thus resulting in one front tire off the ground. disconnecting the front sway bar allowed me to go up higher on that pile of bricks with my Taco while keeping all tires on the ground.... and thats with keeping the truck somewhat leveled and not almost tipping the truck over to it's side. i also noticed that i was hitting my front bumpstops alot more often when offroading my Taco which i then shaved down a tad to increase front articulation even more.

i understand that my old Taco was a different beast from my XK so its kinda why i want to do this same experiment with my XK before actually disconnecting them in the trails. but i'll need a better ramp than a pile of bricks for obvious safety reasons and so i can take accurate measurements.

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
i've taken my jeep off-road without the rear sway bar connected.

the ride is much smoother.

the jeep feels much more stable.

the jeep does not try to unload the weight when your rear axle articulates.

i still have my front axles connected to the swaybar.

the jeep feels very stable and easy to keep under control.

i drove it on some pretty challenging terrain and did not have any problems with it wanting to flip over on its side.

you should unhook yours and go drive around, then go 4 wheeling on some boulders or ruts to try it out.

i've had disconnected for about a month, my wife can't tell its not hooked up, and it drives just fine.

see how level my jeep is in these pictures with the rear disconnected. normally i'd be on 2 or 3 wheels instead of 4. the other difference i have is the rear shocks. they are about 60% stiffer then the stock shocks. the control the axle much better then the stock crap.

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
i wouldn't try this with my commander yet. there isn't enough travel yet.

thiis is my old toyota. it never felt tippy over this type of terrain.

i think a lot of it has to do with how you drive. how much skinny pedal you give it and so forth. you have to experiment to find your limitations.

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
porkfriedrice said:
that is why i am very hesitant in disconnecting my rear sway bar and is why many of the wrangler guys keep their rear sway bars on. more articulation in the rear isn't always best for ya. Since the rear of the vehicle usually carries more weight than the front when crawling up an obstacle then ideally your rear should keep you leveled and your front should articulate the most, and is why front solid axle is more desired for real offroad. no offense but i think disconnecting your rear sway bar is only safe if you offroad in reverse. i could be wrong though, but its just my theory.

i have noticed it allows the stuffed side to travel up further. allowing you to have more stability because the other side is still on the ground. i tested a few places where i was on 2 wheels and the jeep was rocking back and forth. with the swaybar unhooked, the tires stay on the ground, and the rocking back and forth is not happening anymore. of course with anything like this you have to realize that gravity will take over once you reach the point where the suspension will not travel anymore.

i have not removed the front yet. i do not plan on it. i just don't trust the front set-up unhooked. i'm not sure why, i've never 4 wheeled an IFS truck before. i'm still used to solid axles front and rear. and seeing how Tom's front end broke, i shy away from it even more. i'm not a fan of IFS at all. it has a nice ride and thats about it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
4.7commander said:
i think a lot of it has to do with how you drive. how much skinny pedal you give it and so forth. you have to experiment to find your limitations.
i agree.. all depends on the lines you choose and understanding your rig's limits. my XK has seen some decent offroad so far but i still haven't tested it's limits and really stretch its legs just yet. still trying to get over the oh sh*t factor on a 40k+ vehicle. but since i decided to not sell it anymore i'm slowly overcomming it and slowly getting more aggresive with it. i'm open to new ideas and i'm not dismissing disconnecting my rears. i might try it. just gotta get around the rear brake line issue first. in the mean time i will go with what worked for me before on another vehicle and test the fronts.

keeping my rear sways connected for stability issues was something i learned wheelin' my Tacoma with the terrain and lines i chose to take, and the influences from my group of friends that all have some form of wrangler, CJ, YJ, JK, etc.. (they all think i'm nuts for wheelin' a Commander by the way :D ) i accept that what i learned to work on my Tacoma may not work on my XK but sometimes what you learn becomes written in stone sometimes.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts