Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We drove about 15 miles off road from NV160 to Goodsprings NV following a buried gas line and nature preserve trails. This was with the wife's parents. All steep hill climes and descents were uneventful. With the Quadra Drive ii in LOW and 1st we had almost no wheel spin at any point. The Jeep is new to us and this was the first time we had done any real steep stuff. After the first couple steep hills every one was very relaxed. Our only concern with picking lines was related to ground clearance at stock height.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
We drove about 15 miles off road from NV160 to Goodsprings NV following a buried gas line and nature preserve trails. This was with the wife's parents. All steep hill climes and descents were uneventful. With the Quadra Drive ii in LOW and 1st we had almost no wheel spin at any point. The Jeep is new to us and this was the first time we had done any real steep stuff. After the first couple steep hills every one was very relaxed. Our only concern with picking lines was related to ground clearance at stock height.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6-S0qQZp84
Which means it's time to start looking at lifts. :smile2:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which means it's time to start looking at lifts. :smile2:
I was thinking of a set of spacers to get me 2". However I think I should just do the HME HD springs and dampers right off the bat. The real question is how much else do I replace?

Now that it's cooling down here in Vegas I can spend some quality time underneath and inspect the rest of the suspension. According to CarFax it had some suspension work done 5k to 10K miles ago.

Then take my findings to accounting (wife:x) and see how much is left of the fun budget for the year.

Worst case we wait till tax return season.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I was thinking of a set of spacers to get me 2". However I think I should just do the HME HD springs and dampers right off the bat. The real question is how much else do I replace?

Now that it's cooling down here in Vegas I can spend some quality time underneath and inspect the rest of the suspension. According to CarFax it had some suspension work done 5k to 10K miles ago.

Then take my findings to accounting (wife:x) and see how much is left of the fun budget for the year.

Worst case we wait till tax return season.
It's tough when you are the 2nd, 3rd 4th or 5th owner of a Commander to know for certain, what all was done as far as modifications go.

I was lucky (in a sense), I bought mine at a BMW dealership, where it was traded in by the original owner - a 66 year old woman who did literally nothing to it, other than routine oil changes.

The only way you'll know for sure is to pop the hood and go through everything with a fine-tooth comb; Same goes for underneath, you'll have to crawl around underneath and take a long, detailed look at your entire suspension system because lets face it, most modifications that are done to a vehicle, won't show up on a CarFax report.

On a side note, have you ever checked your VIN to see if all of your factory recalls & campaigns have been completed? The information below is from the New member required reading thread;

You can check to see if all of the factory recalls & campaigns have been completed for the Commander you're looking at (or for the Commander you have already bought) by clicking on the hyperlink below & plugging in the VIN; If you are still looking and have not bought your Commander yet, I strongly recommend you do this BEFORE you buy it;

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/search.html

To get the factory build sheet for the Commander you are looking at, or for the Commander you've already bought, enter your VIN here:

https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

Secondary link: https://jeep.custhelp.com/app/jeep/eqlisting_detail/

The factory build sheet will list all of the factory options & optional preferred equipment packages that your vehicle had installed from the factory when it was built.

The difference between a safety recall and a campaign is this; a safety recall pertains to a vehicle problem that is a safety concern; a campaign is a vehicle problem that is not a safety concern, but, pertains to customer satisfaction.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to the links on this site I have gotten all the info I can. All recalls have been done. I have the build sheet and the factory service manual. I'm fairly certain it's stock or at least stock parts all the way around. They even matched the OEM tires and shocks.

Assuming everything else is in good shape and stock, I assume I can just order the OME lift with the assembled struts from Rocky Road Outfitters and install them. No other parts needed?

I'm all for the JBA UCA's if I need them. But don't want to spend the $500 if I don't need to.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Thanks to the links on this site I have gotten all the info I can. All recalls have been done. I have the build sheet and the factory service manual. I'm fairly certain it's stock or at least stock parts all the way around. They even matched the OEM tires and shocks.

Assuming everything else is in good shape and stock, I assume I can just order the OME lift with the assembled struts from Rocky Road Outfitters and install them. No other parts needed?

I'm all for the JBA UCA's if I need them. But don't want to spend the $500 if I don't need to.
You shouldn't need any other parts than what comes with the lift kit. However, if you lift it you really should get the JBA or Moog control arms. I have seen too many OEM upper control arm ball joints fail after being lifted. Fail = your wheel falls off, which could be disastrous if it happens while driving.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts

I saw that jeep5253 gave you his advice;

In my opinion, the JBA UCA's are a nice upgrade, but, not a necessity for what you're planning on at present.

I drove around an 08 Grand Cherokee and my current XK around for 5 years between the two vehicles (3 years with my WK & the first 2 years of ownership of my XK) with the 2 inch RC Lift and P265/70R17 tires with the stock UCA's & never had a problem.

If somewhere down the road, you decide to go with a significantly larger tire, higher lift or add a custom steel front bumper, then yes, I'd definitely upgrade to the JBA UCA's before doing any of those mods.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have seen too many OEM upper control arm ball joints fail after being lifted. Fail = your wheel falls off, which could be disastrous if it happens while driving.
I wonder how many of those failures were preceded by months of groans or clunks? For me it will depend how it all looks and feels once I have it on jack stands. Unless the wife says just do it. It's a good possibility, my mother in law was looking at trails for us to take!!!>:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All the existing parts look fine, no cracks in CV boots. Every thing feels tight while it's on the ground. The ball joints look very anemic! So they are on the list anyway!!

I did find an oil leak at the back of the passenger side valve cover.:mofo:
Just bad enough to drip down the exhaust pipe, but not enough to leave a mark on the ground. They are plastic covers?!?!?!

I also found I have a broken bolt on the plastic skid. Snapped clean off, flush with the frame. Should be fun when I go to do the steel skids I have on order. Not too worried about that. That's what left hand drill bits are for.

Any way, off to research the valve cover gasket replacement.:frown2:

·
Registered
19 Posts
@TNTJEEP Fel-Pro VS50625R, just bought a set a couple of weeks ago for the same reason. That last rear passenger valve cover bolt will make you curse and swear. I recommend a 8mm ratchet wrench, someone with small hands and patience for that one. Otherwise it's a pretty straight-forward job.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@TNTJEEP Fel-Pro VS50625R, just bought a set a couple of weeks ago for the same reason. That last rear passenger valve cover bolt will make you curse and swear. I recommend a 8mm ratchet wrench, someone with small hands and patience for that one. Otherwise it's a pretty straight-forward job.
Thanks, ordered it up along with 16 Champion RE14MCC4 (570) Copper Plus. I'm hopping the plugs improve my MPG I will try to set up a camera and do a time laps video of the install.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts