Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've recently notice in cold weather 32F and below that there's a harsh rattle noise under my feet when accelerating moderately. Under regular(to me) acceleration it's not present. At first I panicked because it really sounds like gears grinding and immediately though transfer case. Fortunately the transfer case is not in that location so my next thought was loose down pipe or heat shield. Is this anything that's been posted before or common on the 3.7? Looking at the picture, though, it looks like the TC is right under my feet.

Once the engine is hot there's no odd sounds.

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
To give you something else to chase down ;-) ...

The front drive shaft is also right under your feet and the CV joint at the transfer case end of the drive shaft wears out and makes all kind of weird noises - squeaks, clicks, rumbles, etc. Maybe shine a bright light up there and see if the boot is torn or missing; if so, the grease is all gone and the joint is on its way out.

The other option is that heat shield you circled. Maybe it came loose or the bolt holding it is loose? When it warms up the heat causes the metal to expand and clamp itself down...?

Those kinds of noises are a pain to track down. You hear it when you're IN the Jeep but the sound is outside - and only when it's cold to boot. $^$%$#$% !

Bob

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To give you something else to chase down ;-) ...

The front drive shaft is also right under your feet and the CV joint at the transfer case end of the drive shaft wears out and makes all kind of weird noises - squeaks, clicks, rumbles, etc. Maybe shine a bright light up there and see if the boot is torn or missing; if so, the grease is all gone and the joint is on its way out.

The other option is that heat shield you circled. Maybe it came loose or the bolt holding it is loose? When it warms up the heat causes the metal to expand and clamp itself down...?

Those kinds of noises are a pain to track down. You hear it when you're IN the Jeep but the sound is outside - and only when it's cold to boot. $^$%$#$% !

Bob
Thanks Bob, it does rattle while idling and I can hear it when sitting at a light near a jersey barrier or wall. It's just not as intense.

I'll check the CV joint, it's currently -3F so it's on hold for now.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thanks Bob, it does rattle while idling and I can hear it when sitting at a light near a jersey barrier or wall. It's just not as intense.

I'll check the CV joint, it's currently -3F so it's on hold for now.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
Not a CV joint then - which isn't a bad thing when it's -3F. Bloody cold in N. Ohio also - no Jeep projects for a while unfortunately.

Bob

·
Registered
371 Posts
Not when they first start to go. Little pieces break off and rattle around inside the housing. Sometimes you can hit the housing and hear them bounce.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts