Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to set things straight; recently I had the Rocky Road Lift installed on my XK and I was having problems with the rear-end knocking and squeaking. In turn, this I think was effecting the normal cycle of the shock. In talking to Bilstein, they kind of poo poo’d the Deutsch Tech Shock which caused me to question the quality of the shock option. After going round and round with the shop trying to eliminate the rear end problems (5 trips), I got a hold of the instructions and read them.

It states very clearly that if you don’t install the 12mm bushing sleeve (not the 5/8”) and place (2) washers on each side of the top bushing and (1) washer on the bottom bushing and then grease the bushing and bolt you’ll get… Guess what!!! “Knocking and Squeaking!”

So what do you know…? I took the instructions up to the shop with this portion circled, highlighted, and underlined and now… it’s a beautiful thing.

In speaking to the guy in the know at 4Wheel Parts about a set of Rancho’s, he told me the Deutsch Tech is an excellent shock, and they don’t even carry them. Well now that the rear end is fixed, the shocks are performing very nicely.

It just goes to show “Read the instructions stupid!” I think the mechanic had so much experience that he didn’t think he needed to do this.

Thanks Rocky Road for a great product!

-mike

·
Registered
331 Posts
seems to me that a lift kit is the most needed mod for an xk. i just got one yesterday justl like yours, but black with the grey seats......and i gotta lift it. never did it, so im kind of green about it. i was gonna do my wj, but i think i'll just sell it. how much did your lift cost w/ parts and labor? i saw a 4" kit that looks really cool.........i just wonder about the ride....and the warranty.

·
Registered
331 Posts
i'll post a pic of that commander in my next post. i have 3 posts, but it seems that you have to have posted 4 times to ba able to link a url. odd rule, that.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congats on your new ride!

The problem right now w/the 4" lift is it interferes w/the Electronic Stability Program and most are staying away from it until that is resolved. The RR 2.25" Lift w/optional shock (which I recommend) is $296 the labor was $600.

I had the Dealer install the lift and paid for it as part of the purchase. They sent it out to have it done. They even recalibrated the speedo for the oversize tires, this way it all falls under the warranty.

-mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do you have any idea what size wheel & tire that xk has on it in this pic? I also plan to put a lift with larger wheels & tires but don't know exactly which to choose I have read almost every post about this and I am still unsure of what to do. I love the way that xk looks, one of the best I've seen.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is pic of my XK with a CenterLine Tracer II 17x8" w/5" Backspace w/Bridgestone Dueler Revo 265/70R17 on a Rocky Road 2.25" Lift.

I believe the above pic is a 4" Lift running 285 tires and just guessing that it's a 20" wheel. As mentioned above there have been problems with the 4" lift.

-mike

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does it attache to your rails?
Thule will tell you, you have to use their crossbars. The front mount on the rack fit perfectly on the XK crossbar but the rear bracket was only 2" wide. Since the screws in the rear slide forward and backwards on the rack, I just ordered one of the front brackets which was wide enough an mounted it on the rear of the rack to the rear cross bar. The front mount footprint is twice as wide as the rear with 2 brackets; with the arc of the XK crossbar if you don't shim it on the outside the rack will not sit straight.

-mike

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Who makes your front tow hitch??
The tow bracket is made by Roadmaster and works with their tow bars. Actually I think Blue Ox makes one that is less obtrusive.

-mike

·
Premium Member
2,248 Posts
The Blue Ox towbar has detachable connectors and they are not needed unless you are hooking up the tow bar. I have been toying with the idea of making a winch platform that would connect to these and allow me to carry a winch in my back locking box where the trird seat used to be.

Here are a couple of pictures to get the idea.

By the way Rut Row, we also have a Dutch Star and are about to get a Country Coach Magna, Donatello

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,135 Posts
HueyPilotVN said:
By the way Rut Row, we also have a Dutch Star and are about to get a Country Coach Magna, Donatello
Rut Row hasn't visited the Forum in quite a while.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks great!! I am a new Commander owner and I am looking into making some subtle changes to give it a better look - i love the way yours looks. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks great!! I am a new Commander owner and I am looking into making some subtle changes to give it a better look - i love the way yours looks. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
94 Posts
dmonroe said:
hey dmonroe
just keep searching the site. there is so much information here that it will blow your mind. You will see every form of Commander modification here. just spend some time searching. its a really cool forum.

WKfore

1 - 20 of 20 Posts