Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day everyone,
I have been reading extensively everything I could find here on lifting my Commander. As my profile indicates, it is a 2009 Commander, HEMI, 150,000 miles approximately. I purchased it just over a year ago, and am ready to start the mods to the stock vehicle. I've decided on the suspension lift due to the miles already on the vehicle, and I think its wisest to replace everything while I'm at it. I'd like to have the vehicle for some time. I'm asking for any final advice on components that I will need to purchase to ensure that the shop that I will use to install things will have everything they need. I do not intend to install this myself. Any thoughts would be appreciated. My parts are as follows:

4wheelparts.com
Old Man Emu front springs. Part # ARB 2991. Heavy duty front springs $167.99
Old Man Emu rear springs. Part # ARB 2993. Heavy duty rear springs $167.99
Bilstein 4600 front strut. Part # BIL24-186797. $87.29 (times two). $174.58
Bilstein 5100. rear strut. Part # BIL33-225807. $71.99 (times two). $143.98

JBAoffroad.com
JBA Upper control arms with the sensor link because I have the auto level headlights on the Overland edition. $472.90. I know that this part is not required, but recommended by many, so I am adding this in.
WK/XK strut spacer plate set to further eliminate the front rake. $32.92

I would not have been able to educate myself at all if it weren't for the gracious efforts of all contributors. I have read that I should prepare the lower clevis bolt with some lubricant to make it easier to remove, but is there anything else you would recommend I purchase while I am ordering? Suspension control arm bushing to strut? Suspension control arm front lower forward bushing? I don't know what these parts are on JBA's website, but I wonder if they are parts that are needed to be replaced. I am trying to learn, so thank you in advance.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Those bushings should already be installed in the control arms. I did not need to replace the clevice bolts and if you are not doing the install yourself, why would you need to lubricate them? Do you mean should you apply penetrant to the bolts?

·
Registered
301 Posts
I would not have been able to educate myself at all if it weren't for the gracious efforts of all contributors. I have read that I should prepare the lower clevis bolt with some lubricant to make it easier to remove, but is there anything else you would recommend I purchase while I am ordering? Suspension control arm bushing to strut? Suspension control arm front lower forward bushing? I don't know what these parts are on JBA's website, but I wonder if they are parts that are needed to be replaced. I am trying to learn, so thank you in advance.
It's a good idea to replace the LCA as a unit and not mess with the bushings. The clevis bolt that goes through the LCA bushing will be fused to the sleeve in the bushing so you'll need an angle grinder to cut the bolt on both ends. Don't cut the clevis.

You can get some MOOG or ACDelco LCAs at rock auto. They will be complete bolt ins.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@ Flex,
Yes... I should have said penetrant instead of lubricate I suppose. One of the posts that I read on the site here suggested using a penetrating oil or such to loosen the bolt to make it easier to remove.

@ Legofan... Thank you for the suggestion on the lower control arms. I'll take a look at them as well.

Thank you both for the replies. I appreciate it.

William

·
Registered
371 Posts
Yes a good penetrant will help if they are not badly corroded. If they are, muriatic acid will clean of everything to bare steel. Just don't apply it with your bare hands and don't breathe the fumes. I normally soak a chunk of paper towel and dab it onto the parts. It only takes a few seconds for rust and corrosion to get eaten away.

Changing the control arms on a whim is a waste of money jnless you have money to burn. Check them first. Mine were still in good condition and the bushings were all still tight. After dousing the clevice bolts with a good penetrating fluid, my brother just loosened them. We took everything off so that the control arms could swing free and I pushed down while he yanked out the strut. Getting the Ranchos in was a bit harder as the bodies were a bit thicker.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts