Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 247 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and I for the first time ever actually agree on a vehicle we both like. The Commander. We don't plan to buy for at least another 4-6 months, but we are going to test drive one on Saturday with the 4.7L. Our biggest concern is the gas mileage as here in NY gas is one of the higher prices areas. I've seen different estimates ranging from 11mpg up to 19mpg and was just curious what people in the real world were getting?

·
Registered
275 Posts
We have about 400 miles on ours, being new, it's getting about 12 in city. Not bad for a fresh motor, it will get better. Not bad for a V8. Our 02 Grand Cherokee gets about 16 to 18 city also, and it's a inline 6. Seriously, if your worried about mileage, you might want to downsize. The V6 won't get any better mileage, I have an 03 Liberty, it gets 15-17 city, & I wouldn't trade it for nothing.:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mango~Ridge said:
We have about 400 miles on ours, being new, it's getting about 12 in city. Not bad for a fresh motor, it will get better. Not bad for a V8. Our 02 Grand Cherokee gets about 16 to 18 city also, and it's a inline 6. Seriously, if your worried about mileage, you might want to downsize. The V6 won't get any better mileage, I have an 03 Liberty, it gets 15-17 city, & I wouldn't trade it for nothing.:D
We already have an XJ and a YJ. If we do get a Commander it will be our 6th Jeep. I am concerned about the gas mileage, but we also need something large. I am not expecting 30mpg, but I don't want the overall to be around 11-12mpg either.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Read my "First 1000 miles" for more details (especially for highway mpg usage), but after now 3k miles, my city average has been 14 +/- 0.5 mpg (mid grade) with spirited, but forward looking driving. My Mercedes (300 SEL 6.3 build '70) got 12 mpg and had about equal power and weight. My Audi (A6 2.7t build '00) got 18 mpg (premium) and had about equal power but with around 1000 lbs less weight, less drag, less volume, etc. ... all in all, I think the Commander with the Hemi does a very good job ... and yes, our VW Golf covers pretty much all our needs 80% of the time and is more frugal. That is the benefit of having several cars :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with the several cars, but for us, several "cars" actually means Jeeps. We don't plan to trade in if we buy the Commander so the stable will have:
* '91 YJ with a 4" suspension lift, custom bumpers, custom roll cage and many more goodies
*'88 MJ that is in desperate need of some TLC
*'98 XJ with a 3" suspension lift, snorkel kit and custom subframe and skids

The Commander would become the family truckster and be used by my wife for her commute. I would take over the XJ and the YJ would become the weekend toy.

Looking forward to taking the drive. Thanks all for the input.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So we took our test drive on Saturday morning. It was a lovely winter morning with about 4" of snow on the ground. It was sunny and the main roads were dry while the side roads were still slushy. The Jeep handled just beautifully and both the wife and I decided that it will definitly be our next vehicle. We are looking to buy in the Spring and I'll be back to brag a little after we get it.

Thanks for all the input and information shared.

·
Registered
50 Posts
JPFREEK said:
Wife and I for the first time ever actually agree on a vehicle we both like. The Commander. We don't plan to buy for at least another 4-6 months, but we are going to test drive one on Saturday with the 4.7L. Our biggest concern is the gas mileage as here in NY gas is one of the higher prices areas. I've seen different estimates ranging from 11mpg up to 19mpg and was just curious what people in the real world were getting?

I am getting just under 15 with about 70/30 hwy/city driving. Only has 450 miles so far. This is with the 4X4 Hemi which is rated 14/18.

My advice would be this: if you want to drive a big vehicle with a big engine, you will get poor mileage. Accept this fact and life will be good. This whole "the end of the world" $2 a gallon is a media manufactued non-story and you shouldn't fall prey to it. For the average person driving 12,000 miles a year, the difference between 15 MPG and 20MPG amounts to $10 a week in extra fuel costs. Is that amont of money really enough to keep you from driving the vehicle you want?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not at all. We are planning on getting the Commander sometime this Spring. I was more curious than anything to see if I would need to make any changes to the household budget. BTW - We are anything but average with our driving habits.We put about 15-20K miles on each of our 2 Jeeps every year.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Gas Mileage

Just bought a new Commander and love it! Already been camping, BUT, a little concerned about the gas mileage. I know its an SUV, but... I am only getting about 14.9mpg with a 3.7L 4x4. Is this normal? I bought the smaller engine to save 'something' on gas.

I thought it was supposed to get 16 of 17mpg! Will it get better as the engine breaks in or do I need to have them check it and get a tune-up with only 1,000 miles on it?

Ron
SoFla

·
Registered
124 Posts
Re: Gas Mileage

You are cute if you really thought that the motor is what controls gas mileage. Why not get a Hemi and not mash the gas??

·
Registered
128 Posts

Voodoo^..^aster said:
Just bought a new Commander and love it! Already been camping, BUT, a little concerned about the gas mileage. I know its an SUV, but... I am only getting about 14.9mpg with a 3.7L 4x4. Is this normal? I bought the smaller engine to save 'something' on gas.

I thought it was supposed to get 16 of 17mpg! Will it get better as the engine breaks in or do I need to have them check it and get a tune-up with only 1,000 miles on it?

Ron
SoFla
thats better than me. i'm averaging 10 mpg city,15 highway 400 miles on her now same as everything as you;)

·
Registered
136 Posts

I've got 1160 miles on 4.7V8 and have kept the spreadsheet on gas mileage from first fill-up. So far, my average mileage is 12.6 and it is nowhere near the bogus advertised numbers. But all that is not as upsetting as the fact that the gas tank is extremely small. So far my mileage from fill-up averaged about 200 miles in city and 230-240 max on highway which is horrible. I've owned 3 SUVs before it and always made 300 miles between fill-ups in city and close to 380-400 on highway. I find this quite disgusting on the so-called "trail-rated" vehicle. This trail better be not too far or not too long.

1 - 20 of 247 Posts