Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I am considering a commander to replace my XJ cherokee but have seen some conflicting reports as to the MPG. What are you actually getting? Not what the sticker says which seems to be a little overly optomistic.

How reliable are they actually? Im a jeep guy and I know they're never perfect but the problems section of the forum has me a little freaked about buying one. Seems like lots of water leaks, I already have that with the cherokee and dont want to really fight that fight again.

Any honest advice would be appreciated.
Thanks​

·
Registered
564 Posts
Even tho we in this forum, you will see that we like to show the good things about the XK, the mods, and what we like, keep in mind that most people go to a forum looking for a solution on a problem that they may have.

As far as MPG, I think I am one of the lucky one, my MPG is 23-24 MPG on the highway city is way low, I would say about 18, but I do have a K&N intake, and Gibson catback 4.7L V8, also, I'm still on the fronteras, some of the comments you see are people are from people running bigger tires

Reliability, I haven't have mayor problems yet, other than the wind noise fron the windshield when going over 45, and the dealer took care of that under warranty, other than that, every now and then I get a hard down shift from the tranny, not that often, but I will have the dealer take a look soon.

Yeah, there are some people that have had some problems with it, but I realy like my XK, and I'm glad I got it, go for it, I think you will end up liking it too...

·
Registered
512 Posts
14k on odometer. 2007 3.7 V6. 13.9 city and 19.5 hwy.Reliability very good so far.-43:D

·
Registered
688 Posts
3.7L 2006 Base Model w/K&N CAI, NGK Platinum plugs.

I've gotten between 21 and 24 MGP on highway trips. 16 to 18 MPG around town. I guess it varies with the temperature/seasonal gas mixtures.

Very reliable so far at only 20K miles. It does have a few interior rattles that irritate me. My 2000 WJ, for 6 years and ~150K miles had not a single interior rattle.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Guys, I am considering a commander to replace my XJ cherokee but have seen some conflicting reports as to the MPG. What are you actually getting? Not what the sticker says which seems to be a little overly optomistic.

How reliable are they actually? Im a jeep guy and I know they're never perfect but the problems section of the forum has me a little freaked about buying one. Seems like lots of water leaks, I already have that with the cherokee and dont want to really fight that fight again.

Any honest advice would be appreciated.
Thanks​

I picked up an '08 a couple of weeks ago, off the show room floor.

Thru rainstorms and car washes, no leaks so far.

City/highway is 19.7 mpg combined with 3.7 six banger and full time 4wd; a lot of that was last week on two lane blacktops thru Indiana and Ohio, hills, inclement weather. The 3.7 obviously no hemi, but the vehicle has no trouble keeping up with traffic :) .

However, build quality seems to be fine - no leaks, squeaks, rattles, misformed or out of alignment body panels. Paint is good.

More wind noise than I would expect at 65 mph, but nothing objectionable - esp. since I came from the TJ :). Tires aren't especially noisy, but on some surfaces they make their presence known.

Radio system decent (I've the basic model stock speakers); nothing that will knock your socks off, but it's not bad. I've fallen in love with the SAT radio.

It's certainly early days for me on this vehicle, but so far I'm massively pleased. It does appear some of the work that I normally do myself (i.e., changing spark plugs) will be more difficult than on the TJ.

The manual on the '08 recommends oil changes at 6,000 miles, but it seems most here on the forum change oil at 3,000 when using conventional. Oil changes look like they are easily done w/o using jack stands.

Maybe someone with lots of mileage could chime in?

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
This question has been beat around for the past three years and you will still not get a solid answer, it depends on your engine size, driving condition, fuel you burn, modifications to your XK, personal driving habits, etc.

I get 13.5 to 18 depending on which way the wind blows.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I found this site on my smart forum, maybe a few more of us can register here and input our Commander stats:
http://www.fuelly.com/car/jeep/commander

It would help when others ask this same question and we could refer them to this site.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have an 06 Limited with the Hemi and QDII. I get about 12 around town and 15-18 hwy depending on speed. As far as reliability I havent had any major issues just had to get a re-flash because of a service 4WD message. I did buy mine used about 4 months or so ago though so no long term info for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks

Thanks guys

I understand that there are different variables affecting the mileage of the vehicles so maybe other members that respond will put there vehicle info down such as engine, drive train, lift or not, tire size and year. This may help to keep track of differences in the types of commanders. It would also help me and others to make a better choice on what kind of commander we would like to buy.

I have always been a Jeep guy but am seriously considering a Tahoe because of their stellar reliability reports and generally favorable MPG in reviews. What do you think?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Thanks guys

I understand that there are different variables affecting the mileage of the vehicles so maybe other members that respond will put there vehicle info down such as engine, drive train, lift or not, tire size and year. This may help to keep track of differences in the types of commanders. It would also help me and others to make a better choice on what kind of commander we would like to buy.

I have always been a Jeep guy but am seriously considering a Tahoe because of their stellar reliability reports and generally favorable MPG in reviews. What do you think?

That may be the wrong question in the forum as most people here realy like the XK, some people have 2 or are on their second as they have upgrated.

As far as my XK, I have the 4.7 Flex fuel, QT-II, Old Man Suspention, fronteras, normaly drive 60-65 MPH on the highway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the responses everyone. I also have a Cherokee, (my 3rd one), and am considering buying a Commander as well. In another post someone recommended getting a v8 since the difference in economy was minor but it seems the figures posted here so far show otherwise.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Thanks for the responses everyone. I also have a Cherokee, (my 3rd one), and am considering buying a Commander as well. In another post someone recommended getting a v8 since the difference in economy was minor but it seems the figures posted here so far show otherwise.
I would agree, there is no diference on fuel economy many people wil tell you that the V6 doesn't make sence as it has to work harder to move the same weight, there are a few people that are happy with the V6, but over all, the V8 has more votes, check this out... CLICK HERE

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah, I have the V6 engine and hate it. Wish I got the 4.7L instead but I just couldn't pass on the offer for the V6. I was getting 15.6 average for city last summer but am now only getting 14.3 average. Not sure what could have made my drop because I haven't changed anything and I keep up on my maintenance for the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Totally, what are you looking at getting? A blanket "what's your mileage" isn't going to be helpful unless you tell us what you're looking at? What year? What engine? 4x4 or 4x2? What type of driving?

My real world, I get 11.5mpg.

Well, it's a bigass 4x4 with the 4.7 and shaped like a refrigerator box, that goes a 3mi. commute to work, with say 8-10 stops and doesn't get over 30mph. Pretty sure your tahoe isn't going to do much better in a similar situation.

I do get 17-18mpg on the highway. I CAN get 21mpg on the highway by slowing down to 62-65.

So you see, asking what my mileage is without a little additional input would have left you thinking 11mpg end of story.

Now, do your part and fill us in with what you're looking at, maybe we can give a little more suitable answers to what you really need.

Or you could try a search, as this question has been asked and answered numerous times....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well I dont have a specific jeep picked out yet I'm going with my wife this weekend to really start looking and test driving. Depending on what options fare the best according to the members here, I will be looking harder at those models, although I would like the hemi with the qaudra drive2. With the entent on lifting 2" with a little bit bigger set of ATs.

I drive about 15 miles a day on the highway one way to work and only have 2 small stops, its just a windy 40-50mph country highway, If you watch dirty jobs ever the episode where they dug the Geoduck clams in Washington is about my halfway point in my drive everyday.

I am also very close to the olympic mountains and spend a good deal of time there so I need a capable offroader that can tow a boat. Then on the other hand I am working on my masters degree right now and am driving to the UW twice a week so milage is of concern.

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Well I dont have a specific jeep picked out yet I'm going with my wife this weekend to really start looking and test driving. Depending on what options fare the best according to the members here, I will be looking harder at those models, although I would like the hemi with the qaudra drive2. With the entent on lifting 2" with a little bit bigger set of ATs.

I drive about 15 miles a day on the highway one way to work and only have 2 small stops, its just a windy 40-50mph country highway, If you watch dirty jobs ever the episode where they dug the Geoduck clams in Washington is about my halfway point in my drive everyday.

I am also very close to the olympic mountains and spend a good deal of time there so I need a capable offroader that can tow a boat. Then on the other hand I am working on my masters degree right now and am driving to the UW twice a week so milage is of concern.
If mileage matters to you that much don't buy a HEMI.

·
Registered
25 Posts
14 around town, worse milage 9.5. @18 on the highway.

To the poster about the Tahoe, they are really different types of trucks. The Tahoe/Suburbans are nice trucks, but they are much larger, and don't fit where a Commander will.

That being said, I have friends who swear by them, but unless you have an oversized garage for most, it will be parked outside. They are terrific, but just completely different driving experiences in my opinion. I believe the maintenance will be less, due to no need for plug changes to 100K etc. It's hard to beat a Vet motor...

I could be banned for this but I have a friend who swears by the 2 wheel drive long wheel base models, and tows heavy boats and cars and seems to be fine, likes the economy aspect of it, and less parts to break.

I may attempt to do some trading off on long road trips with friends, due to having a couple kids and a couple dogs - it is a bit tight in the Commander! But 95% of the time the Commander is better for us.

It handles significantly better and just flies with the 5.7, and can be parked about anywhere.

CG
2007 Overland

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I get about 15 city, 16-18 highway with a 2" lift, 31" tires roof rack with lights and the old 235 hp 4.7 V8. Its not a race car, but it gets the job done.

My folks had a 2001 Yukon XL Denali. Very nice truck, same mileage but a 30 gallon tank opposed to our 20 gallon tank. It was big, I didn't like driving it around town and parking it.

Both trucks are designed differently for slightly different uses: the XK for off road use, and the Tahoe/Yukon for on-road use. It all depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for good mileage, get a car. If you're looking for towing, off-road capability and 7 passenger seating, get a truck. If you want reliability, get a Honda or Toyota.

My two cents.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have an 06 XK Limited w/ the HEMI, but 4x2. Because of the reformulated gas we all have had to deal w/, the 10% ethanol base had reduced our mpgs overall. My wife is the who uses this as the DD. Her commute is less than 3 miles, with just one stop sign and one stop light to go through. I'll normally see it average about 10-12mpg. Though, when driven between Austin/Houston (155miles), we can average between 18.5-21.2 mpg, depending on avg speed. Like others have said... if mileage is a concern, avoid the HEMI, and if you want power, avoid the 3.7L. Sounds to me most would favor the 4.7L; if you consider 'New', I heard either '08 or '09 offered an increase in hp w/ the 4.7L. I bet it's a steal deal to get a new XK these days in this economy.

Good luck and keep us posted.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts