Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Great site the folks over on NAXJA recommended it to me. My wife and I have been looking at the Commander since they came out, but I was leary to buy one sionce there were only magazine reviews. We've been long time jeep owners/offroaders, in fact I have never owned anything other than a jeep. Now that our family is growing, english mastiff and baby conversations occuring more frequently, we wanted a larger vehicle. Since the Commander retained the "brick on wheels" look of our beloved Cherokee's it was a natural choice over the Grand Cherokee.

Mileage is not an issue, we have a nice hybrid that we use and our offroad/get around anywhere vehicle is a Cherokee that has been too modified:D and now only gets 10mpg so I don't think the Commanders are going to shock us. Actually, from reading some of your posts on mileage I was quite suprised at how well a lot of you were doing. So my questions are what do you dislike about your Commander? We all dislike something about our vehicles so what would you change now that you have driven it for a while? Also, what problems have you had? Finally, how close to sticker price did you pay?

Thanks for any help you can provide I look forward to your responses and hopefully in a month or so, actually when Linda says i can go buy it, I will post a picture of our Commander......

Cheers,
Nick

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Love my JC, my biggest complaint is the small gas tank. Will be taking it on a week long trip in about a month so we shall see how it performs with mostly highway driving. I had to take back three times for minor problems. Windshield noise was the biggest headache.(pun intended) :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
There really is nothing I dislike about the Commander. The couple of things I wish it had was an automatic opener for the whole back door instead of just the small window. I think I heard though they are addressing this in the 07 model. I wish it had more cup holders in the front. As far as power wise and all I am happy with it and space is awesome. Alot of people complain about the small gas tank but for me it works great on road trips it just works out when I have to stop for a potty break and my 7 month old is ready for some dinner that we have to stop for gas. My husband and I are jeep people too the commander makes number four. I have a yj he has a cj and he also has a willys and as jeep people I gotta say we love it. My husband is always talking about how great the ride is for a jeep and how he loves driving it. Versus the other choices that we had in the suv department the Commander was the best for us. I gotta tell ya too if you are thinking baby and you travel alot the extra space will come in handy especially with a big dog. We have two dogs a 7 month old and a ton of stuff and we are still comfortable when we travel. Hope this helps with your decision.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hi.... This is my first Jeep, although not my first SUV. Coming form the Range Rover family I was intially liery of Jeep. Since my RR was 8 years old and just turned 200+K miles it was time to start looking for something else road trip and camping trail worthy. I like a more boxy style and was initially looking at the LR3. However, as soon as I saw the JC commercial (coming out of the ocean) I new I had to at least test drive one. The test drive sealed my decision as the JC had a much smoother ride and much better 4WD system... it is also quiter than the LR3. Plus - I could get a HEMI :D

Overall experiance so for has been very good, although not without first year intro issues. The biggest issue I have had, and it seems I am not alone, is the JC has a transmission problem at least the 4WD QD2 tranny). I had to have the tranny replaced at 850 miles...although this was a little dis-heartning I still love the JC :)

Dislikes: Hard to say... it's very well thought out and works great for my needs. I have read some complaints about the thrid row seat (aka: the kiddy section) but IMO if you really need the capacity to haul 7 people around all the time you need either a mini-van or a full size SUV.

Regarding price: The dealer I ordered from charges $100.00 over cost...saved about 4K over MSRP, got $2K cash back and 0% financing to boot!

Only thing ... they are coming out with sooooo many cool features on the 07 and 08 that I may end up trading by early 08... which is not typical since I generally run the vehicle until about 200K miles.

Good Luck! :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
HemiCommander: I though I got a good deal at over $4000 off MSRP. Also took advantage of 0% financing. Did you state you also got a $2000 rebate above your discount? I have been under the impression that the $2000 was in lieu of the rebate. How and when did you get both? If you did...you're the man (or woman).

·
Registered
476 Posts
joker126 said:
HemiCommander: I though I got a good deal at over $4000 off MSRP. Also took advantage of 0% financing. Did you state you also got a $2000 rebate above your discount? I have been under the impression that the $2000 was in lieu of the rebate. How and when did you get both? If you did...you're the man (or woman).

I bought from Jasper Jeep in Jasper GA. Hey, I was extreemly surprised :) . I placed the order the last week of January. DCX was running a deal that if you orderd by end of Jan you got a $1000.00 rebate (do not recall what they called that one) plus an additional $1000.00 rebate for something else. Initially got a call from the dealership letting me know that my APR would be 1.9% however, by the time the JC arrived that rate changed... to 0%. The one thing that probably helped is the $12K I chunked down.

PS: Male :p

·
Registered
110 Posts
Myself, my wife, two kids and a dog. My wife and I have always liked the boxy shape of the Grand Wagoneers and Cherokees and we dislike the shape of the Grand Cherokees though its basic 2005 drivetrain is proven. This made the XK the natural choice for us as well. It doesn't hurt that the XK scored 5/5 on the government crash test, scored 9/10 on the Edmunds review, won the AAA "Family SUV of the Year", and was nominated for the Motor Trend "4x4 of the Year".

If mileage is of no consideration, get the Hemi if for no other reason than to have one. As for me, I tested out the Hemi and was unable to get anywhere near the gas mileage I get w/ the 4.7L. As for performance, I am more than pleased w/ the 4.7 w/ the exception that the Hemi would be a better choice if you needed to tow at near max capacities.

As for my dislikes; even though it has 9.9" drivetrain clearance, the front body plastic is too low for my comfort. You gain a couple inches when you remove the front air dam (it has 1/4 turn delrin fasteners) but it needs a bit more clearance for my taste. The plus side to this is that the suspension can be easily opened up to gain an additional 2 - 2 1/2" lift w/out changing the factory geometry. I think some on this board have used the RR system whereas in my neck of the woods the Jeep shop manager w/ the most experience prefers to use Rusty's. All the parts and pieces for either of them retail for no more than around $300 bucks and they can be used w/ factory rims/tires or those slightly larger before running into off-set issues w/ the steering knuckle. Jeep experimented w/ several combinations and chose the 255/75/17 as the size to use w/ the Rusty's lift.

The only problem I've had so far was that my 4yr old hammered a minor dent into the fender before it left the lot, but it is a 4x4 for hauling my family off-road so it will get dinged up.

I feel I got as good of a deal as I could expect. I got approximately $5,500 off sticker price as equipped plus I got approx $700+ in additional dealer installed mopar accessories free (tow package, rack). As far as financing goes, my FICO score is 830 so I easily got a good rate for the amount I borrowed. I think my wife and I timed our purchase carefully and we used the fact that our particular dealer had nearly 200 XKs idle on a lot w/ an expected 90 day average turn-over time per vehicle. I'm sure we saved a good chunk of change vs buying early on.

XKPearl

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have to agree with XKPearl , and realized it should have been in my original post.. the one drawback is the truck is too low. I will be raising 2 1/2 inches in the near future so it can handle the various camping trails I hit on a regular basis. - Although it did just fine on the first one... still a few times I lifted my butt off the seat when driving through a few rough spots.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reply’s everyone! Short of the horrible mechanical problems I wish they brought back the Grand Wagoneer. It was my first vehicle, hand me down from my folks, and rode like a Cadillac, and is still in my opinion one of the best looking trucks of all time. When I heard rumblings of the commander I was hoping they might have retro-wagoneer styling, but I am happy with the classic Cherokee on steroids look too.

I also found your website thread on problems that folks have been having which I think is nice to check out. I like the input on the clearance though. Our current Cherokee has about 4.5" of lift on it and has taken us everywhere in the past. Unfortunately because of that it has suffered and is on its last legs:rolleyes: Since we seldom off-road anymore with the exception of running down the beach on Cape Cod I have doubts if we will lift it though I have said that with every jeep I've owned and everyone has ended up lifted and in some state of hurt from wheeling.........

Again, thank you for your opinions and anyone else who has any please keep them coming.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.