Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm a prospective Commander owner and have a question about rear air conditioning controls...

I've seen that there are controls in the very back of the car to control the flow and temp of the rear air conditioning, but is there a way to turn it on and off from the front of the car?

Also, does anyone have any pictures of the boot (trunk... i'm from the UK!) with the 3rd row of seats removed?

TIA

·
Registered
954 Posts
Yes, there is a button near the front climate controls that enables the rear controls. Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
check the button above your AC controls. on the far right should be a picture of what looks like two people sitting and a fan between them. if you push that it will turn on your rear ac/heat. but i think you can only control it's temperature and fan speed from the rear.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Yep, the switch in the front only enables the rear controls. Turn it on and what ever is set on the rear consoles will result, turn it off and rear consol and fan goes dead.

There is no turn off valve for the AC and heater core flow, so warm water is always flowing to the rear heater core and if you turn on the AC the refirgerant will be flowing to the rear evaporator as well. Nothing comes out until you press the front switch to give power to the rear console which will open/close the blend doors and/or turn on the fan. The rear AC, if there is no air blowing over the evaporator, there will be very little heat transfer, that will cause the expansion valve for the rear evaporator to just close almost completly, and thus very little refrigerant actually flows to the rear evaporator. If you turn the fan on and change the blend doors to blow air through that rear evaporator, it wil of course start to transfer a signficant amount of heat, which will cause the thermal expansion valve to open to allow refrigerant flow to the rear evaporator.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
On the rear heat/AC, I wouldn't make that a big priority in your search. The 3rd row seat is too small for adult passengers for long trips. So, you likely won't need rear heat/AC that much unless you're carrying 7 passengers often and for long trips. And if that is the case, the Commander is NOT a good candidate for the last two passengers unless they are children.

The downside to the rear AC/Heat is it creates all sorts of extra opportunities for something to go wrong and require an expensive repair, especially AC. If you get a Commander w/o rear AC/Heat, that is probably better. Adding that extra evaporator and 20ft of AC lines give a lot space that you could loose AC oil in if you suffer any AC leaks or problems. I don't know the statistics, but its been my experience with rear AC cars that they are more likely to suffer costly AC failures than just front AC, and that makes sense to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On the rear heat/AC, I wouldn't make that a big priority in your search. The 3rd row seat is too small for adult passengers for long trips. So, you likely won't need rear heat/AC that much unless you're carrying 7 passengers often and for long trips. And if that is the case, the Commander is NOT a good candidate for the last two passengers unless they are children.
Thanks Mongo. I will actually be using the boot of the Commander for my dog, a big German Shepherd. He is massive (and very spoilt!) and gets hot even on cold winter days so it is ideal that there is a/c in the boot. Also, pretty much all Commanders in the UK are Limited models, so I guess they would all come with rear a/c anyway?

Thanks for the advise though, appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Thanks for the info. That settles it, definately a Commander for me!

If anyone else stumbles across this thread, there are pictures with the 3rd row of seats removed here http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5570&page=2

Hopefully ill be back soon with pictures of my new shiny toy :)
That picture is of the 2nd and 3rd row seats removed. See this thread for how to build a storage container in place of the seats.
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5222&highlight=storage+3rd+row

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That picture is of the 2nd and 3rd row seats removed. See this thread for how to build a storage container in place of the seats.
http://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5222&highlight=storage+3rd+row
Thats a great idea. Once the seats are removed I would be putting some ply in there anyway to level it out etc, so assuming there is enough height for my dog I could build some storage in there too :)

On the subject of height, does anyone know the height of the boot from the floor (with 3rd row folded down) to the ceiling please?

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
On the subject of height, does anyone know the height of the boot from the floor (with 3rd row folded down) to the ceiling please?
Opening of lift gate has 28 1/2 clearance like if you need to slide something in. Inside the roof is 34 inches. I always have the 3rd row folded down:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesome, my dog is 36" tall to his ears, so if i make a storage box that is level with the jack storage (which is slightly lower that the seats I think), he should have plenty of space. I love it when a plan comes together :)

On a side note, there are a couple of silver Commanders available at the moment and only 1 black one, which is slightly out of budget. Hope you don't mind me asking but I notice you have a silver Commander in your profile pic, do you have any regrets with your colour choice?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
If you're never going to use the 3rd row seats, its only a couple of bolts to remove them. Granted the seats are heavy and awkward to remove because of the position. It will get you another ~5"-6" of height from floor to roof.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
No regrets on the silver color, didn't have a selection - was hard enough to find a Commander let alone one with a Hemi. Black would be my first choice though. Black is harder to keep tidy :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
The downside to the rear AC/Heat is it creates all sorts of extra opportunities for something to go wrong and require an expensive repair, especially AC. If you get a Commander w/o rear AC/Heat, that is probably better. Adding that extra evaporator and 20ft of AC lines give a lot space that you could loose AC oil in if you suffer any AC leaks or problems. I don't know the statistics, but its been my experience with rear AC cars that they are more likely to suffer costly AC failures than just front AC, and that makes sense to me.
How true! I've got no a/c as the lines have corroded in the rear wheel well.
Its simply nuts seeing all those pipes in a vulnerable place like that. A guy I know got all of his pipes replaced under warranty (£1500+), but I've found a tradesman who may be able to put in a repair section subject to access. Failing that I'm going to get the pipes from a non rear ac model.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts