Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I need to replace the bearings in my rear axle and was thinking about adding an aftermarket G2 axle cover. I am concerned about whether the 8.25 can handle the added power of engine upgrades. Is there a beefier axle that can be swapped in and still work with the Quadradrive II electronic controls?

·
Registered
480 Posts
I believe you are running the same axle used in the SRT.... How much more power are you looking to add?
It's not the same axle, the SRT runs a Dana 44. I'm not sure if that axle would play well with QDII.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My ultimate goal is a 392 stroker kit or factory 392 short block along with ported heads, the heddman shorties I have, srt8 cherokee cats and one of the catback exhaust kit along with the Comp 502 cam I already have. I also have the BBK 85mm installed along with the AFE cold air kit and a Diablo T1000 tuner. From builds I have seen, it should be 175-200 hp.

I have see the 8.25 being run behind 440 big blocks in older race cars but I know they rate it behind the Dana 44 that comes in the Grand Cherokees

·
Registered
480 Posts
From what I've heard, the 8.25 is strong enough to handle that kind of power. I've heard of people running over 500 ft lbs through it on drag slicks without it breaking.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the full replacement bearing and race set and ordered the G2 diff cover with the load bolts. I am also looking to see if ARP has a bearing cap stud kit.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone happen to know the specs for the carrier bearing cap bolts? Size, thread and UHL.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts