Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I see that there is a rear back-up camera listed in the Mopar Accessories brochure. It appears to have it's own little screen. Any idea where one would mount this? And why is there not an option to integrate into into the Navigation system?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mopar suggests you mount the screen left of the instrument pod to the windshield. To be able to sell the camera to all Commander owners (with and without nav) it does not use the navigation screen. In the near future a second camera will be offered by Mopar for Nav integration. (late 06)

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will that other camera be available late MODEL year 2006 or late CALENDAR year 2006?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Actually, if you don't mind voiding your NAV warranty, you can buy a little module that adapts a regular mini video camera to your NAV monitor. It's about 2"x3"x2" or so and converts an NTSC video signal from the video cameral to RGB + sync signal for your NAV monitor. There are 4 wires to cut and splice. It's about $300 bucks. You can use a license plate cam or tailgate light cam or rear window cam or even a hitch receiver cam. The box automatically switches your NAV screen to rear view camera mode when you shift into reverse.

·
Registered
200 Posts
You know, if you look on xkjeeps.com at the press release, this very camera (Mopar made and integrated into the NAV) is mentioned, and I thought it was odd that it wasn't available. Commanderman, do you have any official position by which you know this news? If so, you're my new best friend. I *want* that camera. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Commanderman said:
In the near future a second camera will be offered by Mopar for Nav integration. (late 06)
I have not been able to verify this as of yet, however, there are several manufacturers that already use/offer this technology and I have no doubt that DC will offer it with the next generation of Nav systems. My suspicion is that it will be offered on '07 models...

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This showed up on wkjeeps.com. Apparently an image of the next generation navigation system.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts