Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a junkyard that has a Commander with the 2 rear red brake lights in the rear bumper ? I would like to buy it so I can put white lenses in place of the red ones. If it is allowed I will include my email.

·
Administrator
15,513 Posts
Does anyone know of a junkyard that has a Commander with the 2 rear red brake lights in the rear bumper ? I would like to buy it so I can put white lenses in place of the red ones. If it is allowed I will include my email.
The Commander did not come from the factory with lights in the rear bumper. Those would have been added by an owner of the vehicle.

·
Administrator
15,513 Posts
As far as I understand, the European model comes with those lights
That is true. But he is in the USA, so that is why I didn't mention it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Probably a European model, just because he is in the US doesn’t mean it couldn’t be. I just saw a black one in a parking lot two weeks ago here in Arizona. European models also had small turn signals above the front fenders. To answer your question, they are called “fog lights” so you don’t get hit from behind. I’m no sure how they are switched or powered but you could add them you just need the brackets under the rear bumper. There shouldn’t be any clearance issues since most of the metal structure under the bumper is near the center.
John

·
Administrator
15,513 Posts
Probably a European model, just because he is in the US doesn’t mean it couldn’t be. I just saw a black one in a parking lot two weeks ago here in Arizona. European models also had small turn signals above the front fenders. To answer your question, they are called “fog lights” so you don’t get hit from behind. I’m no sure how they are switched or powered but you could add them you just need the brackets under the rear bumper. There shouldn’t be any clearance issues since most of the metal structure under the bumper is near the center.
John
I seriously doubt that you would find a European model in the US. They were manufactured in Austria to European specs and would not meet the US requirements for emissions and therefore would not be allowed to be imported. Several forum members added the lights to the bumpers to look like the European models.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I seriously doubt any forum members have moved the steering wheel to the right side to look like the European models. I could be wrong though. 😝 I wish I took pictures of it.

·
Administrator
15,513 Posts
I seriously doubt any forum members have moved the steering wheel to the right side to look like the European models. I could be wrong though. 😝 I wish I took pictures of it.
WOW! I am really surprised that there was actually one in the US! Yes, photos would have been nice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes, I should have taken photos. I just thought it was cool. I didn’t know it was super rare because I’ve seen plenty of right-hand drive Rovers.
I was trying to see if it was a diesel but it didn’t have any badges on the tailgate.

·
Banned
3 Posts
its super easy to add lights to the rear bumper if you decide to go that route. I added some back up lights on mine a while back. if you want more info i can dig up pics.

·
Administrator
6,657 Posts
its super easy to add lights to the rear bumper if you decide to go that route. I added some back up lights on mine a while back. if you want more info i can dig up pics.
@SirMathsALot; Quite a few guys here have done that;

But I don't think that's what the OP was referring to.

·
Banned
3 Posts
@SirMathsALot; Quite a few guys here have done that;

But I don't think that's what the OP was referring to.
Yes, I know he wasnt asking about back up lights, just meant if they are as easy to wire in as they were some rear facing red brake lights would be just as easy. Wasnt sure if he had come across the others that had done rear lights yet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts