Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what changes/improvements are planned for the 2007 model?

What about a rear cargo cover (that slidling vinyl cover that hides your stuff, like the Grand Wagoneer and Jeep Grand Cherokee have) for those who don't plan on using the third row seating for munchkins?

Other SUVs with 3 rows have a cargo cover, why not the Commander?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I used the cargo cover in my '96 Cherokee, since the sun made a glare on the window in the rear-view-mirror if there was anything at all in the back.
I live in Puget Sound, got my Commander on Dec 18, & it's rained ever since.... I have a grey blanket courtesy of Lufthansa which I will use eventually.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Never realized that they weren't offering a cargo cover for the Commander! Makes you wonder why they wouldn't engineer one for the Commander's difference in cargo area dimensions (compared to the Grand Cherokee).

As far as the 2007 model year changes the only rumors I have heard was a change in some of the interior dash materials and the availability of the rear backup camera as a factory option.

Whether we get a diesel engine option, an air suspension option, or an an Overland type trim level (which would hopefully include the prior two items) remains to be seen.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The back up camera will be sweet, but i am really hesitant to get an EXTRA screen. i wish I could find someone who could hardwire it into the current screen. The other option is still to replace the rear view mirror altogether.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are they going to keep the open-cubby hole map compartment above the glove box in the 2007 model?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW, a friend of mine had his car broken into over the holidays because he didn't have his cargo cover pulled over his stuff in the back.

Would be kind of nice for Jeep to offer this since not everyone will use the 3 row seating. I could care less about the 3rd row.

Maybe Jeep will make a Commander without the 3rd row?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Jangy, I read somewhere (I think in a thread in this forum) that the factory option backup camera will integrate into the nav system screen (instead of a seperate screen) if the vehicle is ordered with the nav system. Of course, this won't help your situation since you already have a Commander. But maybe they will offer it as a Mopar accessory for those who already have the navigation system.

·
Registered
77 Posts
... I had a cover in the Chrysler Pacifica Limited and never used it. Reason is the same as it would (probably) be for the Commander: You can adjust the seat angle of the 2nd row seats. As I bought the Pacifica and the Commander because I have tall kids, they want to lean back. However, if you do, you hit the bar of the cover. The dark glass option of my limited made it not necessary to use the cover anyway. However, a better design, taking this problem into consideration and making the middle part reclinable too is possible (but would probably cost too much money).

·
Registered
136 Posts
As a side issue - did anyone ever make shopping and put it in the back with 3rd seat down. Here's what happens.
If you notice, the back part with seat down is raised about 3 inches and shopping gets jammed against the back door.
Once you open the back door, watch the hell out as the shopping is flying all over the driveway.
I am trying to think what kind of back barrier I should come up with in order for that not to happen but have no good solution yet.
Very poor design.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I realize that the 3rd seat is only foldable and not removable. I wonder if there is a way to resonably easy remove that seat permanently without making a mess out the car. Did anyone ever think about it?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Shopping bags. Use crossed bunge (rubber) cords, hook 'em to the four convenient rings at the side rear, works great. Store flat or in the jack compartment. (Another solution would be to remember to open the window & shove the bags back first.)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Rear seat removal. Wouldn't the jack cover be higher than the "new" floor? (This might serve as a "lip" to keep the grocery bags from crawling out.)
I'd like to hear more about taking the seats out - I doubt if we'll ever use ours. But then, I'd have to store 'em someplace....
I had a metal rear cage in our '96 Cherokee that I've reinstalled in the Cmdr - keeps the dog out of the grocery bags when we're not in the car.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I didn't check but I think there are four attachment points for a cargo net in the very rear of the CMDR. You could just buy a cargo net and stretch it across the rear when the seats are down. This should keep your "Shopping" contained inside when you pop the door open.

Bob

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just ordered the rubber rear floor cover which should come to my dealer this week -- $85.

But I'm also interested in taking out the rear seats; it hasn't been warm enough so far this winter for me to want to mess around with that, but I'm going to look into it seriously when it gets a bit warmer. I know I'll rarely use the back seats, if ever...

Commo
Dearborn, MI

·
Registered
68 Posts
Jangy said:
The back up camera will be sweet, but i am really hesitant to get an EXTRA screen. i wish I could find someone who could hardwire it into the current screen. The other option is still to replace the rear view mirror altogether.
There is a 'box' you can add to your NAV system that allows you to add your own rear view video camera and use your NAV screen. It converts the NTSC video signal into an RGB + synch signal. The problem is you need to cut the wires going to your NAV monitor and splice this box (2"x3"x3" approx) in.
You can find it on [email protected]@gle.
I'm thinking of doing this but your warranty would be toast.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts