Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that threads have dealt with this before, but I thought it would be good to start a new one on this as an update.

I have been corresponding with Doug at LPW racing about a possible rear diff cover for our 8.25 12-bolt axle (C213RE). They do not currently manufacture this application, but he is curious about demand so I thought I would ask here.

I know it is difficult to gauge from a marketing perspective based on responses here, but it sure would be nice to have one of these:

https://www.lpwracing.com/Ultimate_Chrysler/Ultimate_Chrysler.html

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I am interested- for the right price. This works with the QD2 axle correct?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The cover "should" also work for 2005-2010 QDII Jeep Grand Cherokee's as well, and that is a much larger market than the Commander. i.e. makes your case it might be profitable for the aftermarket manufacturer.

The 2011 Grand Cherokee went to a rear independent suspension, I don't know how much the diff carrier changed, but its equally likely as to the rear diff cover working/NOT working with later QDII Grand Cherokee's. Nor do I know if earlier ZJ's GC's have the same 12 bolts covers.

QDII ist he only 12 bolt cover
Ummm, yes but are they same cover? Honestly, I'm asking, cause I don't know.

I could see either scenario, that the cover can be used on multiple axles from lots of different models and manufacturers, OR the opposite, the 12 bolt Chrysler Corporate Axle is a one off for just the QDII XK/WK's and the pattern and dimensions won't fit other axles with 12 bolts. More than just the number of bolts go into the design of the cover to go over the rear of the Diff Carrier. And the pattern of the rear of the Diff carrier may be used way more often than I'm assuming. I don't know, I just know enough NOT to assume the cover will fit simply off the number of bolts.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I was not aware of that....good to know.

I just went outside and looked at mine and it has a 10 bolt rear differential cover.

In which case, I am NOT interested.
The QDII system has ELSD's, the differential has a Gearotor pump attached to the side of it, that can be electronic activated to pump up pressure on the LSD clutches to limit slip even further or even lock the Diff's. The rotation of the differential powers the pump. This makes the Diff's wider and thus the carrier has to be wider and thus the cover is wider, with more bolts in it.

I replied to Creek to explain. On the Commander, on QDII has 12 bolt diff covers. NOT sure of the QDII axle was used in more models than just Commander and Grand Cherokee. There are certainly plenty of other axles out there that have 12 bolts, but don't have the same pattern and shapes thus the same cover would NOT work. Not sure what Creek was referring to, I really don't know how common the pattern for the Chrysler Corporate Axle 12 bolt really is.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The QDII system has ELSD's, the differential has a Gearotor pump attached to the side of it, that can be electronic activated to pump up pressure on the LSD clutches to limit slip even further or even lock the Diff's. The rotation of the differential powers the pump. This makes the Diff's wider and thus the carrier has to be wider and thus the cover is wider, with more bolts in it.

I replied to Creek to explain. On the Commander, on QDII has 12 bolt diff covers. NOT sure of the QDII axle was used in more models than just Commander and Grand Cherokee. There are certainly plenty of other axles out there that have 12 bolts, but don't have the same pattern and shapes thus the same cover would NOT work. Not sure what Creek was referring to, I really don't know how common the pattern for the Chrysler Corporate Axle 12 bolt really is.
I think you are right about the use on Cherokee/Commander only, that's what I've been able to gather at the American axle website. This is good information though as the potential for this cover does probably hinge on the size of the market.

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Not sure what Creek was referring to, I really don't know how common the pattern for the Chrysler Corporate Axle 12 bolt really is.

What I ws referring to was, as far as I know the only xks the have a 12 bolt cover are the QDII not other Jeep models

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
What I ws referring to was, as far as I know the only xks the have a 12 bolt cover are the QDII not other Jeep models
Ahhh, that makes sense, I wasn't sure if you were saying there are more axles that have the exact same pattern, which I guess is very unlikely.

I would be shocked if the WK (Grand Cherokee) does NOT have the exact same axles and the same covers will work. The XK/WK use the same drivetrain, I've been told by a former Jeep Engineer they are the same platform that XK and WK really are more body codes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've contacted Doug again at LPW racing with information gleaned from the responses to this thread. I will update when I hear back.

·
Registered
141 Posts
As Mongo mentioned, the WKs and the XKs use much of the same drive train parts.
The WKs with QDII use the same front and rear differential/axle as the XKs with QDII.
Note that starts in 2005? and goes to but not including the WK2 roll out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts