Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with swapping out the stock gears for ones with a shorter ratio. ie. 3.73 for a 4.11 or higher?

Can this even be done on the commander?

Thanks for the help,

Bob

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't know if anyone makes a ring and pinion for our rear end but if so, why not, it's just a gear change, get the approperate shim kit and diff. fluid and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Since we're talking "all-wheel" drive, wouldn't you have to change the gears in the front also to match the rear gears?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jeep cmder said:
Since we're talking "all-wheel" drive, wouldn't you have to change the gears in the front also to match the rear gears?
My mistake. I thought it was implied that the front would be changed along with the rear.

I did findout that the front is a dana 30 and the rear is a dana 44. Now I just need the type of case (measurements of the pumkin and such) it resides in to see if there are gears made for it yet.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Auburn gears make ring and pinion set for the Dana 44 rear as I'm sure many other's do, now will there ring and pinion just drop in, I don't know but it might by worth a call if your really interested in making the swap, remember to ask about the shims needed and what adaptor is needed to recalibrate the speedo as it will be off after the swap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have a set of motive 4.56 for the front and rear for my ram sitting in the garage waiting for a auburn LSD. from what i hear from others the gear change is one of the best improvements to transfer the hp and tq to the ground. it just costs so much on a 4x4 or awd

1 - 8 of 8 Posts