Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I crawled under the truck today to do the rear diff fluid change and noticed that there's fluid leaking from the pinion seal. The fluid looks fresh and there's also spray all over the side of the gas tank. I know this isn't normal as this seal shouldn't be leaking at all. Is this something that should be covered under the factory warranty? I don't want to change the fluid and waste the oil only to need it done again under warranty. If its warranty issue, I'll wait and have the dealer do it.

I'm also amazed that the fill plug for the rear diff is rubber! This must be one of those cost cutting moves from Chrysler and the reason why the diffs always seem to leak from the fill plug.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
rwmorrisonjr said:
Is this something that should be covered under the factory warranty? I don't want to change the fluid and waste the oil only to need it done again under warranty. If its warranty issue, I'll wait and have the dealer do it.
sounds like warranty to me!

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I'm thinking, will have them do it when I schedule the tranny service and warranty for the clicking under the dash.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Had my pinion seal replaced a few months ago in the Commander as well. I found the same thing, looked under myself and noticed the spray on the fuel tank and fluid around the seal. Sad part is it was just in for service prior so I guess they do not bother to look the vehicle over unless you mention a problem. It was all covered under the warranty.

·
Registered
488 Posts
rwmorrisonjr said:
That's what I'm thinking, will have them do it when I schedule the tranny service and warranty for the clicking under the dash.

is the clicking when you turn the wheel?

if it is its the clocksprings in the steerring wheel, a known issue and also a warranty one.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No, the clicking sounds like a relay or control module. It happens when I put the truck into gear, flash the high beams, or use the left turn signal. It also happens intermittently while driving, but goes away when I use the right turn signal. Odd, since the systems aren't (supposedly) connected.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My pinion seal was fixed, as well. I too have the leaking rear diff fill plug and they said that it is normal and they would not fix it. Yeah, normal for a cheap fill plug. Not normal for most SUV/trucks...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts