Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I use a different product by Permatex called "the Right Stuff Gasket Maker" and have had no leaks what so ever. Thats even with using friction additive in the rear differential.
So you have taken your rear diff apart to drain and fill? That work/service order pic I posted in that other thread was unclear to me whether or not they took mine down and cleaned it properly or just drained/filled.

I wondered the same about the transmission b/c the cost wasn't THAT much, but since I see they charged me for the two filters I suppose they MUST have taken the pan down and cleaned it.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
So you have taken your rear diff apart to drain and fill? That work/service order pic I posted in that other thread was unclear to me whether or not they took mine down and cleaned it properly or just drained/filled.

I wondered the same about the transmission b/c the cost wasn't THAT much, but since I see they charged me for the two filters I suppose they MUST have taken the pan down and cleaned it.
Yes, I take the differential cover of and drain the fluid completely. I think the dealer uses a machine to suck the fluid out of the fill hole.

As for the Transmission, they had to have taken the pan off since they replaced the filters for you.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I take the differential cover of and drain the fluid completely. I think the dealer uses a machine to suck the fluid out of the fill hole.

As for the Transmission, they had to have taken the pan off since they replaced the filters for you.
What kind of transmission fluid do you have in yours? Anyone have full synthetic? I am a little confused about something. The guy at the dealer said something about it taking like 14 quarts, but that if I changed the fluid I could not get all of the old one out to change it all to full synthetic. What was he talking about?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a question. Once you line the cover lip with the sealant and put it back on, wont tightening the screws cause some sealant to squeeze/ooze INTO the housing? I mean, you can wipe off excess from the outside where it oozes out, but will it mess anything up on the inside?
Also, typically, how much of a tube of the sealant does it take?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
What kind of transmission fluid do you have in yours? Anyone have full synthetic? I am a little confused about something. The guy at the dealer said something about it taking like 14 quarts, but that if I changed the fluid I could not get all of the old one out to change it all to full synthetic. What was he talking about?
Im still running the stock fluid since I haven't done any service to my transmission yet. I know the transmissions take a lot of fluid. I think what he was refering to is if you just take off the transmission pan its not going to get all of the fluid out of the transmission. There will still be fluid in the lines, torque converter and other parts of the transmission. So basically you would be mixing stock oil with synthetic. Thats the only thing I can think of.

I have a question. Once you line the cover lip with the sealant and put it back on, wont tightening the screws cause some sealant to squeeze/ooze INTO the housing? I mean, you can wipe off excess from the outside where it oozes out, but will it mess anything up on the inside?
Depending on how much RTV you put on the cover it mostlikely will get a little inside. It wont harm anything in the inside. So you dont have to worry about that.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think what he was refering to is if you just take off the transmission pan its not going to get all of the fluid out of the transmission. There will still be fluid in the lines, torque converter and other parts of the transmission. So basically you would be mixing stock oil with synthetic. Thats the only thing I can think of.

Well that sucks, lol. How are we spozed to get our trans' filled with ALL synthetic?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I think what he was refering to is if you just take off the transmission pan its not going to get all of the fluid out of the transmission. There will still be fluid in the lines, torque converter and other parts of the transmission. So basically you would be mixing stock oil with synthetic. Thats the only thing I can think of.

Well that sucks, lol. How are we spozed to get our trans' filled with ALL synthetic?

Well I plan on just using the Mopar ATF +4. It seems to be an extremely good fluid.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
When the sealant squeezes out on the outside or inside, it still stays in tact to the cover. It doesn't fall off or break free of it unless you wipe it. That is why it doesn't cause any damage.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
When the sealant squeezes out on the outside or inside, it still stays in tact to the cover. It doesn't fall off or break free of it unless you wipe it. That is why it doesn't cause any damage.
Thats a good point!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the help guys. I will get to it in a week or so. I plan on getting the ultra black RTV. It seems to be available at all the autoarts stores and looks like it will do the trick.
Do you guys only clean out the cover and mating surfaces, or do you spray the gears down with anything?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I plan on just using the Mopar ATF +4. It seems to be an extremely good fluid.

Aw, man,I thought you'd be the first one to try and get everything under there going with synthetic since someone (Valvoline) actually MAKES a totally synthetic ATF+4! :stickpoke:

·
2,248 Posts
Last year I converted all of my fluids to AMSoil synthetic. Somewhere in here is a thread on it. I also put a drain plug in the transmission pan with a temp sensor in it. I have actually changed the rear diff twice, there is a story behind that second change.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Last year I converted all of my fluids to AMSoil synthetic. Somewhere in here is a thread on it. I also put a drain plug in the transmission pan with a temp sensor in it. I have actually changed the rear diff twice, there is a story behind that second change.
Yeah, I saw that transmission drain plug thread. That was pretty sweet. I didn't know they made a substitute for the TC fluid, though?? I just changed it and used the Mopar stuff. I bought my XK with 29 K miles or so and figured I should change everything out.
What's the story with the second time diff fluid change?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just read the "how-to" in the first post. It mentioned torquing the covers to spec, but I can't find the proper specs ANYWHERE. Does anyone know them?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Has anyone tried the trick of removing the tyranny cooling lines to do a fluid change?

My only goal in doing this would be to get ALL the standard fluid out (of the torque converter etc) and get synthetic in ... I would still remove the pan to change the filter.

The trick used to be to pull off both cooler lines .. and hook the INTAKE up to the new fluid and run the output to an empty bucket .. THEN start the car and the watch the fluid until it runs a clear color like the new stuff.

Since the stock torque converter has no drain plug I can't think of any other way to get the fluid out of it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts