Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Jeep Commander Sport 4wd 4.7L
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 Jeep Commander 4.7. Was getting ready to change out the differential fluids for the first time, and noticed these Red EZE Plugs on the front side of the REAR transfer case. Anyone know what these are?
Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,881 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please read this and fill in some of your details and make a signature with your Commander details. (year, model trim, engine, 4wd system, etc.) It is nice for us know what your Commander has in it so we can better help you.

NEW MEMBER REQUIRED READING!!! Important New Member information, Forum requirements & Forum rules. | Jeep Commander Forum

To make a Signature click here - Signature - How to make or modify

To get the list of everything built into your Commander when built at the factory - have your VIN number (case sensitive) and go here Chrysler Build sheet - Equipment Listing Not necessarily for your signature but so you know what you have.

Also post an introduction in the "New Member" section. New Member Section

You can download a free Owner's Manual here--->Owner's Manual

·
Administrator
8,162 Posts
2006 Jeep Commander 4.7. Was getting ready to change out the differential fluids for the first time, and noticed these Red EZE Plugs on the front side of the REAR transfer case. Anyone know what these are? View attachment 44309
@Daggy ; Welcome to the forum;

I added your user profile signature for you based on the user profile questions that you answered;

Please read the 1st post of the New Member Required Reading thread below;

Important New Member information, Forum requirements & Forum rules. | Jeep Commander Forum

Those little red plugs may be there to help you drain the differential fluid a little easier; Just a guess on my part.

Thanks & again welcome.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I added your user profile signature for you based on the user profile questions that you answered;

Important New Member information, Forum requirements & Forum rules. | Jeep Commander Forum

Those little red plugs may be there to help you drain the differential fluid a little easier; Just a guess on my part.

Thanks & again welcome.
Thanks. That is my guess as well. They seem to be seeping fluid, so I am considering changing them out for metal plugs.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,881 Posts
The position of them looks like mounting bolt threaded holes - possibly for a different car like a dodge or something.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks & again welcome.
Thanks for fixing my signature. Great forum. Glad to find it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How about for a rear diff skid plate?
Well, I am going to pull them tomorrow and see what's up. I can't find a schematic or picture of bolts/caps for these, so I'll cross that bridge once I get these out. I'll post what I find.

·
Premium Member
Dallas TX
449 Posts
@Daggy I did the same, they do not show up on the parts list for a dana 44 or any of the mopar diagrams, let us know what you find

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@Daggy I did the same, they do not show up on the parts list for a dana 44 or any of the mopar diagrams, let us know what you find
Got the EZE Plugs pulled, and no fluid dropped (rear diff fluid is full). Best I can tell, is they were put there to keep water out to prevent corrosion. As suggested, the holes look like they may have been mounting holes of some sort. As it stands, it's a mystery to me. I am going to put them back in and keep an eye on things.

Still trying to determine where the seeping may be coming from. My guess is the rear pinion seal may be bad. Very slow seep if so. Going to clean everything up and see if I can trace it in a few days/weeks.

Here are some pictures of the EZE Plugs as well as the holes they came out of. Lots of corrosion, but this Commander is still going strong.
Insect Arthropod Pest Petal Parasite
Sculpture Wood Art Snout Water

·
Administrator
8,162 Posts
Got the EZE Plugs pulled, and no fluid dropped (rear diff fluid is full). Best I can tell, is they were put there to keep water out to prevent corrosion. As suggested, the holes look like they may have been mounting holes of some sort.

View attachment 44311 View attachment 44312
That makes perfect sense to me;

Thanks for sharing the pics.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts