Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, New here, ran into a situation on the weekend.
was on a major highway, passing a car, when heard a "pop" coming from rear of my 06 commander. I thought it was a flat tire, as there was vibration when i was pulling over. Upon inspection, the rear diff fluid was coming out the pinion seal, and two red plastic eze seal 2 plugs laying on the ground. I had it towed to my shop, it will still drive, but with clunking noise. My question is, could this be just the seal needing replacement, or worse? and just wondering what the eze seal plugs do? I was thinking maybe they were a pressured relief type plug? Im trying to get as much info before i pull it apart. thanks

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
There is NOT enough information to make a diagnosis, but....

If it was just the seal that failed, or the vent valve (that let the axle overpressurize and blow out the seal) you would NOT have clunking sounds and vibrations right away. Obviously if you drove a long time without oil in the axle that could cause damage and maybe that did happen and the seal parts came out later.

But, one possibility is if the bearing for the pinion failed, that would cause vibrations and clunking sounds right away, it would also allow the pinion to move off center and would tear up the seal.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts