Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the round peice that sits on the front u-joint and why isn't it on any of the after market steel rear drive shafts?

·
Registered
353 Posts
It's the flange that mounts to the xfer case or transmission. There may be different flanges that fit...

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
For some reason I can't see your pics.
Sorry the pictures didn't show on my original post. The round thing is attached to the front of the rear drive shaft and sits between the xfer case output shaft and front u-joint. I am purchasing a steel drive shaft because I am having vibration and slight binding noises on accel (another post of mine) that I have isolated to the rear. The rear u-joint feels a little funny and the rear diff feels fine so I am putting money on the drive shaft. Since all of the steel drive shafts do not have this round piece I wanted to find out if I need it or the steel shaft bolts right up to the xfer case output. Hopefully going to get this "project" completed soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
Don't worry about that round portion. Your new drive shaft will be fine. I think that round portion is a dampener of some sort. Don't try to use it. I replaced my drive shaft. I just took out the old one and put in the new one.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy, using speech to text

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't worry about that round portion. Your new drive shaft will be fine. I think that round portion is a dampener of some sort. Don't try to use it. I replaced my drive shaft. I just took out the old one and put in the new one.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy, using speech to text
Awesome. Thank you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts