Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post to the forum. But I've been watching from bleachers for a few months now. Lots of great information on here. And even more friendly neighbors and friends. Hopefully someone can add some rhyme or reason to my current annoyance.

Picked up an 09 Commander Limited, 170,000 ish miles, 4.7L for $3900 this spring. I've done about all of the "basic" maintenance up to this point. Plan replacing front struts and rear shock in the next few weeks. I have a haunting "clunk" in coming from the rear underside of the truck. It happens only when I have approached a stop, as soon as the brakes are released. Just a one time clunk. No vibrations, u-joints look good, bushings rear suspension appear to be good. No noise when shifting from R to D, or "rolling" jeep back and forth by hand. I've set the e-brake and placed the truck in N to check the u-joints. Best thing I guess is the "slip" in the drive shaft is binding up. And releasing pressure when the brake are released. I am interested to hear thoughts and opinions of the group. Collective thinking is the best solutions to the biggest problems.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
First post to the forum. But I've been watching from bleachers for a few months now. Lots of great information on here. And even more friendly neighbors and friends. Hopefully someone can add some rhyme or reason to my current annoyance.

Picked up an 09 Commander Limited, 170,000 ish miles, 4.7L for $3900 this spring. I've done about all of the "basic" maintenance up to this point. Plan replacing front struts and rear shock in the next few weeks. I have a haunting "clunk" in coming from the rear underside of the truck. It happens only when I have approached a stop, as soon as the brakes are released. Just a one time clunk. No vibrations, u-joints look good, bushings rear suspension appear to be good. No noise when shifting from R to D, or "rolling" jeep back and forth by hand. I've set the e-brake and placed the truck in N to check the u-joints. Best thing I guess is the "slip" in the drive shaft is binding up. And releasing pressure when the brake are released. I am interested to hear thoughts and opinions of the group. Collective thinking is the best solutions to the biggest problems.
@Outlaw; Welcome to the forum; Post some pics of your Commander when you can; Here are some links if you want to order any parts for repairs or upgrades to your XK;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: https://www.factorychryslerparts.com/

North American Parts: https://northamericanparts.rpmware.com/store/account/login.aspx

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - https://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjwiYG9BRCkgK-G45S323oSJABnykKAhh8eDfktvKOcXIbZZtyM9MiasWVk-Mba45s2yxNrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/jeep,2006?a=Referer+www.google.com+URL+%2Fen%2Fcatalog%2Fjeep

Also, please read the new member required reading below if you haven't done so already; lots of good information in here;

REQUIRED READING!!! New Member Introduction post & other important new member info.

Thanks and again, welcome aboard.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update

Sooooo....

I've decided while replacing my suspension this weekend I am going to drop the drive shaft. Plan is to remove the accordion boot covering the slip shaft. Hopefully I find replacement band clamps at a local auto parts store. If not then it will be a plan B. Drilling/poking a small hole in rear side of the uppermost accordion. Plan would be to then spray Teflon in hopes of lubricating the slip shaft. Hoping to quite the noisy clunk demon plaguing me. I'll try to post some pictures of the Jeep before and after the suspension. And if I end up breaking down the drive shaft I will take some pictures of that as well.

Sidenote:

I found a connector in my glove box. It appears the previous owner has plugged an adapter in to connect a PC. Possibly USB on the truck side. I have plans to purchase Appcar that BigBlue likes so much. Hoping to use this connector with my laptop. I will try to get a picture of this as well. I browsed through the recent post with wiring diagram. I couldn't seem locate anything in that area.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Sooooo....

I've decided while replacing my suspension this weekend I am going to drop the drive shaft. Plan is to remove the accordion boot covering the slip shaft. Hopefully I find replacement band clamps at a local auto parts store. If not then it will be a plan B. Drilling/poking a small hole in rear side of the uppermost accordion. Plan would be to then spray Teflon in hopes of lubricating the slip shaft. Hoping to quite the noisy clunk demon plaguing me. I'll try to post some pictures of the Jeep before and after the suspension. And if I end up breaking down the drive shaft I will take some pictures of that as well.

Sidenote:

I found a connector in my glove box. It appears the previous owner has plugged an adapter in to connect a PC. Possibly USB on the truck side. I have plans to purchase Appcar that BigBlue likes so much. Hoping to use this connector with my laptop. I will try to get a picture of this as well. I browsed through the recent post with wiring diagram. I couldn't seem locate anything in that area.
One of the keys to using the Appcar-DiagFCA OBD-II software is having the correct USB cable for your PC - unless you are going to connect via Bluetooth;

I used the ELM327 USB Cable that I ordered from Total Car Diagnostics; A link to order that is here;

ELM327 USB V2.1 OBDII OBD2 Car Diagnostic Code Reader Scanner Tool

Along with how to install instructions:

How to Install ELM327 USB Cable on Windows and OBD2 Software | Car OBD Diagnostics, ECU Chip Tuning & Auto Repair Support

Beware of cheap Chinese clones of the ELM327 cable - if you see one that's priced for $10-$15 it probably will not function properly; I've read a lot of reviews of people complaining that their much cheaper cable can not properly access the appcar-diagfca software. The ELM327 cable from Total Car Diagnostics works - I've used it myself with no issues; You can read more here;

https://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/elm327/

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This connector is actually in the glove box, and runs behind the radio. I'm thinking maybe it's part of the Media system. For sure it does not have the capability to plug in a OBDII connector. The "truck side" of the connector appears to be USB. But the loose end is data connector to the PC.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
This connector is actually in the glove box, and runs behind the radio. I'm thinking maybe it's part of the Media system. For sure it does not have the capability to plug in a OBDII connector. The "truck side" of the connector appears to be USB. But the loose end is data connector to the PC.
I just looked at your pic and I'd say that's a good guess from the looks of it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the suggestion Creek. Actually didn't have a spare mounted when I bought the Jeep. I have since put one in. I will double check that it is secure. I'm pretty sure the clunk was present before the spare tire install.

UP4Xk - you sir are the prize winner. Thank you. Not a user of Apple products...Anyone need an I-pod hook up?? LoL

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One of the keys to using the Appcar-DiagFCA OBD-II software is having the correct USB cable for your PC - unless you are going to connect via Bluetooth;

I used the ELM327 USB Cable that I ordered from Total Car Diagnostics; A link to order that is here;

ELM327 USB V2.1 OBDII OBD2 Car Diagnostic Code Reader Scanner Tool

Along with how to install instructions:

How to Install ELM327 USB Cable on Windows and OBD2 Software | Car OBD Diagnostics, ECU Chip Tuning & Auto Repair Support

Beware of cheap Chinese clones of the ELM327 cable - if you see one that's priced for $10-$15 it probably will not function properly; I've read a lot of reviews of people complaining that their much cheaper cable can not properly access the appcar-diagfca software. The ELM327 cable from Total Car Diagnostics works - I've used it myself with no issues; You can read more here;

https://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/elm327/

Thanks for the links Blue. Looks like I will be ordering a new cable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts