Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rear end clunking noise that happens mostly when going low speed over bumps. It almost sounds metallic. I tried to feel all the links and joints, etc. by the rear end but could not notice anything loose.

You guys already helped me out with my front end clunking in another thread, so I thought you might have some ideas on what to look at first. The jeep has around 60k miles on it.

Any ideas are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Sway bar end links?

·
Registered
555 Posts
I had them heat shields underneathrot away at their screws and they would make noises over bumps. Follow the aluminum shield above the exhaust. if its rotted away, enscrew the nut and use a quarter inch fender washer to resecure it in place. it works

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually forgot to mention that I did replace the swaybar links....but problem still exists.

I will check the heat shield.

·
Registered
210 Posts
This may sound stupid, but i had the same described noise, it ended up that my spare tire had become loose, thus the noise over bumps and even in certain turns. Tightening it up solved the problem.

·
Registered
555 Posts
could the exhaust pipe be loose and hitting something?

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
1) There are several welded brackets - maybe one has cut loose.
2) Could it be your jack at the back of the jeep?
3) Are your shocks bolted securely?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Are you lifted? I have a clunk in the left rear that I suspect may be related to my Superlift. I already found one bolt that was a bit loose and tightening it helped some of the clunking. My swaybar end links are a year old, but I'll pull them just to test anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts