Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this problem? On the front side of the rear fender flares it looks like they are being sand blasted from road debris way down on the bottom of both rear doors. I have mud flaps installed. I have stock wheels and tires. I will have to get a estimate on repairing it, but was just wondering if anyone else had paint chipping there or just something on my jeep causing the chipping.

·
Registered
512 Posts
This has been a common problem with cars and suvs. a lot of manufacturers hav put a heavy clear "tape" to protect these areas against stone chips. I have heard of an aftermarket product that many people have installed on their cars. Sorry, I'm not sure of the name, but its out there, and I hear it works well.I believe 3M makes it.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
I have the same problem, I installed the Mopar molded running boards and it stopped. My tires were to large for mudflaps.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. The body shop suggested the 3M tape, but I will think about the running boards also. I had searched the archives but hadn't found where anyone else was having this problem with their paint.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I hate to bring back an old thread from the dead but, I just discovered I have the same problem. One of my rear fender flares has about 6" of paint that has chipped off. Does anyone know if this is covered under the extended warranty or should I just do an insurance claim? Thanks.

·
Administrator
15,199 Posts
I hate to bring back an old thread from the dead but, I just discovered I have the same problem. One of my rear fender flares has about 6" of paint that has chipped off. Does anyone know if this is covered under the extended warranty or should I just do an insurance claim? Thanks.
Paint is not covered under the warranty for damage due to normal use that I know of, except body rust through. I seriously doubt insurance would cover it unless it was due to an accident.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
This is just something that happens to almost every vehicle out there, in one place or another. Thats why auto manufacturers started adding plastic parts to their cars. Rocker mouldings , fender flares ,bumper covers ,etc. It is much easier and cheaper to just replace these parts when they get all chewed up rather than have to deal with part of the sheetmetal that has been chipped up and is now rusting. I see the clear plastic stuff on most european cars now. Bmw , Audi , and Porsche will do the entire front end , including half way over the hood, while others will just have a little strip on the dogleg or bottom of the bedside on a truck. I don't know where you could buy this stuff though.

·
Administrator
15,199 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Is it possible to just buy 1 fender flare from somewhere?

·
Administrator
15,199 Posts

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Is it possible to just buy 1 fender flare from somewhere?
You could but............I suspect you think they come pre-painted.
They don't, so you'd still have a visit to the paint shop.
Polish and touch up as best you can, buy a small roll of the 2" chip guard, cut and apply to affected area.
Nothing to it, I did it to mine 2 years ago.
Also, I put a strip on the tailgate so the wiper blade would quit chafing the paint in its parked position.

Rob

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
You could but............I suspect you think they come pre-painted.
They don't, so you'd still have a visit to the paint shop.
Polish and touch up as best you can, buy a small roll of the 2" chip guard, cut and apply to affected area.
Nothing to it, I did it to mine 2 years ago.
Also, I put a strip on the tailgate so the wiper blade would quit chafing the paint in its parked position.

Rob
Nice tip for the wiper. I see this on other suv's.

·
2,248 Posts
Here is my solution to protect the flares, bumpers and anything else you want to fortify against desert pinstriping, brush, trees and running over pink jeeps like Phunkeydude does. It is called bed liner, easy to touch up, although I have not had to yet.

By the way, A couple of the guys on this forum dared me to do this, But did they do it ...Noooo....Kinda like jump on in the water is warm....not. I am glad that I did it anyway, gives it a different look.

Phunkeydude crushing another pink jeep.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Here is my solution to protect the flares, bumpers and anything else you want to fortify ...
I like that! ... being ME :) .. I'd probably have to take the fender flares off to coat them ... but it's looks great and is very praticle either way!

Phunkeydude crushing another pink jeep.

Just curious .. what's up with the three holes phtoshopped on the skidplate there? .. looks wierd

Attachments

·
2,248 Posts
I like that! ... being ME :) .. I'd probably have to take the fender flares off to coat them ... but it's looks great and is very praticle either way!

Just curious .. what's up with the three holes phtoshopped on the skidplate there? .. looks wierd
That is actually where I photoshopped Tom's picture to show Ross where to put the holes in my skidplate to allow me to connect my blue ox extensions for towing the Commander. I still had to cut them a little to make it fit.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Ahh ... I remember reading that at the time :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts